Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

AlertCheckingThread WARN Error - Error in UpdateRowsThatAreReset() -

I'm getting this error in th event log.

SW NPM-SLX 9.1 SP5 and  APM-SLX 2.5

What does it mean?

Event Type: Information
Event Source: AlertingEngine
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date:  4/7/2009
Time:  10:27:10 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: xxxxxx

2009-04-07 10:27:10,783 [AlertCheckingThread] WARN  Error - Error in UpdateRowsThatAreReset() -
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Ambiguous column name 'NodeID'.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
   at AlertingEngine.CheckAlert.UpdateRowsThatAreReset()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

5 Replies
Level 9

The LastError field in the AlertDefinitions table in the DB will show which Alerts are causing the errors. Disable and troubleshoot as needed.

Kudos to nicodiablo for that tip. Running the following in SWQL Studio showed me I have a lot of work to do and where to find it.

select name, lasterrortime, lasterror from Orion.AlertDefinitions

where lasterror is Not NULL

order by lasterrortime desc


I had to change the query to the following:

select alertname, lasterrortime, lasterror from AlertDefinitions

where lasterror is Not NULL

order by lasterrortime desc

0 Kudos
Level 15


Alike the following post: AlertingEngine Event Log Error

An alert is causing an error while the UpdateRowsThatAreReset() function is executed.

The SQL Query seems to be malformed by the Advanced Alert wizard: "Ambiguous column name 'NodeID'."

Open the \Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\AlertingEngine.exe.config file.

Edit the below section:

    < logger name="UpdateResetRows" >
      < additivity value="true" / >
      < level value="NONE" / >
    < / logger >

and set the level value to ALL.

Disable all of the alerts. Re-enable them one by one, checking the log after each one to see when the errors start showing up again.

Beside checking the Event log, you should see the error(s) in the \Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\swAlert.log.x files too.

Once you know which alert is causing the issue, disable it and roll back the level value to None in the AlertingEngine.exe.config file.

Analyze what is doing your alert and if you cannot find anything wrong, feel free to open a support ticket to further investigate the issue and attach the diagnostics to the automatic reply.



Thank you for the info.

What I found ws I had an Advanced alert set for an Netapp interfance. For the trigger type I selected Interface but in the condition selection I used Node/details/node name/ to select the node to monitor and that is what it did not like.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos