cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Alert suppression

I am working on alert suppression.

My reading so far tells me that the only way to suppress dependent alerts is by having separate alerts e.g for each remote site.

That's OK, but I still dont see where to enter the dependent node status to suppress on. In the Suppress dialogue in Advanced Alerts there is only field and value. What I am looking for is "Suppress alert if NodeA is down".

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 12

Just wondering why do you need separate alert just to suppress the other.

What I did for example is that when a node goes down it will alert me but I don't want to received an alert from specific device, so Using the expression below I am no longer receving alert from that device

NodeName is equal to NodeA

0 Kudos
Level 7

The aim is to suppress alerts from other devices at a remote site if the remote site router goes down. They aren't really down, you just can't see them any more because of the router.

0 Kudos
Level 13

we have adopted a tiered approch to this

First:  Create an alert that will trigger if the edge router is down

Second : create an alert that will trigger if a device behind the edge router is down.  Now add supression to this alert that will cause it not to trigger if the upstream device is down.

We actually have three tiers  Edge Router Down --> Firewall Down --> Node Down

Keep supression simple (only one device) or the SQL statement will be too complex and it won't work

Polling is important, poll the upstream devices more often than the dowstream devices.

JB

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks! It works now

0 Kudos
Level 12

Did you try ; NodeName is equal to NodeA

0 Kudos