This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert on Wireless Access points that goes Down/Missing

Hi

Been browsing the forums a bit but cannot find any good answer. I need to be able to alert on thin access points that goes down/missing.

The default alert does not seem to trigger when an access point that are pulled through our Cisco Wlan controller.

What is the trick to get this working? I dont want to poll all access points directly. I have tried to change the alert to unknown etc, still no luck.

Any help is appreciated!

• "The default alert" which alert? Node down -- the nodes being polled is the controller so that is the wrong thing.

If you mean 'Wireless access point is down' then you'll need to share some more information, FGA: Please follow the standard litany when giving a problem report.

Do you have an alert defined on thin wireless access points? what is its definition? are the thin access points being discovered? what is their status when they go down?

• I've just tested the "Alert me when a Thin Wireless Access Point goes down" and it worked fine for me. This is my trigger. But as the AP information is collected during the Statistics Collection, it can take a while to get a down alert. We do the Statistics Collection once every 10 mins, so I could wait up to 10 mins before I get a down AP alert. I'm using Cisco 5508's.

Capture.JPG

• Hi

The Default Alert is "Alert me when a Thin Wireless Access Point goes down",  We are getting info about the access points from the Wlan Controller.

We have managed to get an Email alert now, when we changed the status to Unknown.

We are trying to create a NOC view for our technicians which are working with the access points. However, since the access points are being polled from the controller, they dissapear from Solarwinds when they are unknown/down since they are missing from the WLAN controller as well. We would like the alert to remain until aknowledged, so that the alarm is visible for the technicians. Would that be possible?

• The alert remains if you have a Reset Condition configured.

So once the device is up, then the alert will be reset (and disappear from the screen).

• hiya

ours seem to alert is this of any help to you?

pastedImage_0.png

then the trigger section is:

pastedImage_1.png

• I take information from the SNMP traps from the [aruba] controllers and flag the AP down immediately which speeds this up considerably.

In my environment I have to check the AP status on the primary and backup controllers since an AP will be up/down/missing on one, and down/up/missing on the backup.

i.e. on startup a backup controller knows about no AP so they are all missing from the controller, then if an AP connects to it is will know about it, and the state will reflect the state of the connection to this controller.

it's annoying as heck as Aruba AP support is very poor. Orion (by default) removes 'missing' thinAP from the database so I lose stats each time a controller reloads and NPM purges the data (unless you modify the config file with this switch in)

I also lose stats on every upgrade as the darned install process resets the flag to keep the data just before startup so the first thing solarwinds does on polling a controller is purge historical stats for our mising AP, rendering the data less useful.

• look in C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Wireless\SolarWinds.Wireless.Collector.dll.config

make sure you have

<add key="RemoveDisappearedAPs" value="False" />

otherwise if an AP disappears from the controller it gets purged from the database, and its alert will disappear too.

[this is my gripe below -- this value defaults to 'true' and is reset to 'true' on install/upgrade]

• Yeah alerting through Solarwinds can be slow. If I really want fast responses, I use Cisco Prime. But I get a lot of false positives using Prime for AP offline alerting.

• Hello!

I am working with andreasstenlund99 on this.

The Alert Trigger Rule is configured like this:

pastedImage_0.png

And then for Reset Condition:

pastedImage_1.png

Yet, Alerts is sent as specified in Alert trigger actions, the active alert is in the alert list. But only until next poll when AP is removed completely from Solarwinds NPM.

Would the solution be to change <add key="RemoveDisappearedAPs" value="False" /> in C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Wireless\SolarWinds.Wireless.Collector.dll.config

I can understand why an disconnected AP would be set as unknown or disappeared when it looses LAN connection, if it is because of values retrieved from SNMP get/walk. But i can't understand why an AP that is disconnected, would it be from power failure or loss of LAN connection, is then removed from Solarwinds because it is not listed under the WLC. This makes it impossible to make any escalation events for instance.

• I will have to test it to see if the alert disappears (but I don't believe it does). I will test it and let you know.

But instead of your customized trigger, have you used the Recommended (Reset this alert when trigger condition is no longer true) trigger? That's all I'm using.