Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Alert for missing custom property values while adding nodes

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for help in configuring alert if custom property values are missed to configure while adding nodes.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance.

-DN

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

I created this alert using complex condition.

In primary condition

I put audting event in I want alert on

condition is auditing event -  action type - is equal to - node added

In secondary condition

I put node in alert on

condition is node - custom property - is empty

This is working fine, I tested it.

-DN

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 13

Please remember that there is the option to set custom properties as mandatory to prevent the need for this type of alert. I created a report which I showcased in SolarWinds Lab in order to check for this issue as well. I would suggest starting with a report so you don't get completely swamped with alerts. Similar logic to the report and what @vinay.by has already illustrated should work for the alert, though.

Chrystal Taylor | Head Geek

Thanks @ChrystalT that reminds me that I need to go and configure just such a report for "automating" a part of our AIS process.

Not all CPs are created equal, but there are some that would be considered mandatory. At present we utilise the Custom Property edit/viewer to check on what's missing but would be quicker to just run a report and push it back at the change engineer.

Wow, Nice @DN 

Why do you want to create an alert ? Rather you can just create a node inventory report and add that custom property onto the report to verify the same.

I haven't tried anything of this sort but it should be possible. Try creating a Custom SQL Alert (select query to check for blank fields on that custom property), test this before you enable as i said i haven't tried it before :), change the query as per your requirement, i am testing it for Custom property City.

Test.JPG

Thanks @ChrystalT and @vinay.by 

Those properties are mandatory but sometimes users are using Network Disvcovery to add bulk nodes and the forget to update the mandatory properties, lots of issues happening because of this.

This is the reason I am looking for a way to setup an alert whenever there is a node added without custom property.

Thanks

-DN

Yes you can alert on a Custom Property  and then use Is Empty as the logic and then you can create an alert action to populate the property if you wish. Be aware that there is a limitation to how many nodes this action an populate during an alert interval and I think it's associated with the SQL timeout but it does work for a few hundred notes at a time. 

@bobmarley 

Thanks, let me try this.

0 Kudos

That should work for you. That is how I populated them in bulk when users forgot to add them in. If you are doing a large number of nodes it may not fill them all in on the first run, just disable and re-enable the alert a few times and it will eventually get them all. I set my alert to run once a day once everything was filled in. That way if a node was added the custom property alert would eventually catch it and fix it. 

0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

I created this alert using complex condition.

In primary condition

I put audting event in I want alert on

condition is auditing event -  action type - is equal to - node added

In secondary condition

I put node in alert on

condition is node - custom property - is empty

This is working fine, I tested it.

-DN

View solution in original post

0 Kudos