This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert Trigger Logic

3 servers.  Each server has two volumes (C: & D:) and each volume has a different threshold to trigger an alert.  In my example, let's say I want to trigger C: at 35% or less and D: at 10% or less.  I wanted to avoid having to create one alert for each server and each volume.

The scope works as I get all the volumes C, D, virtual, and physical memory.

Next, the Caption on the volumes are from the details page for each of the servers (1, 2, 3).  In this example, I am looking to only trigger when the C: volume hits 35% or less.

2019-01-11_15-48-41.png

I was all happy with myself and then when I get to the Summary page, I see that the alert would be triggered on 5 objects.

Why would the D: volume be considered an affected object?

Any thoughts?

2019-01-11_15-56-45.png

• I believe your logic catches D: due to Node being true AND Fixed Disk less than 35%
    The C: captions being true also allow the D: Fixed Disk to be processed.

When we were presented with monitoring servers with drives needing different thresholds, we set up monitors as described below.

From the manage Nodes page, we edited the threshold for each drive we wanted to monitor.

volume.PNG

We set up the scope in much the same way you did, and then triggered on Volume Capacity Forecasting.

volume2.PNG

Maybe something similar will benefit you.

• nathatnwilson@bloominbrands.com​ is correct about the logic;  when you nest a condition it places parenthesis around that nested portion

So overall your argument is;

Volume Caption = C label1 or Volume Caption = C label2 or Volume Caption = C label3 or (Volume % Avail <= 35 and VolType = Fixed Disk)

rearrange your argument visually - AND at the top with Vol% and Type, then OR Nested with the 3 captions; but if you want to go one further use a custom property on either the node or volume (wherever works best, or possibly holds the needed granularity detail) and use the CP instead of matching the caption.

- If CP on volume just match the value of the custom property (it will not matter if other volumes do not have a value - but it will be open if you need to use more values later on)

- If CP on Node, match value to node in the SCOPE - then use begins with to match the volumes (since all C), or another volume custom property to keep things dynamic.

If you use CP values, as the entities change - node or volume refreshed or RMA'ed you simply set the CP values to make the 'new' replacement entity fall within the alert scope instead of having to edit the alert to exactly match the hardware you are currently monitoring - and preventing alert re-trigger.

-CharlesH

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

• Thanks.  I will give is a try.

• The easiest method here is to use the power of Custom Properties. This way you can create a single alert which applies to ANY Volume.

If you create a Volume Custom Property which has the required threshold (ie C: = 35 / D = 10) and then you create a single alert that triggers if the current capacity is Less than or Equal to the custom property value.

Example:

pastedImage_0.png

Regards

David

• Hi David. 

I just came across this method and for me, this will be what I move forward with.  It was sorta of an 'ah-ha' moment and realized I wasn't leveraging the properties for alerting effectively.  Thanks for opening my eyes. 

For those that do not following:

You create a custom property that will add a field on your node, ie "Custom Threshold D drive", via the settings page. 

Navigate to the node and view the Properties of that node.  Add whatever value you want to alert on on for that drive.

Create the alert with the trigger condition like David's suggestion above.  Mine is below. 

2019-01-16_13-27-31.png

You can then use the CustomProperties variable to populate a notification or action. 

• Thanks cha-chang! just one important thing to remember - Make sure you create the Custom Property on the VOLUME, not the Node, as they work differently emoticons_wink.png