This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert Suppression for multilink interfaces

Hello all,

I'm trying to create an alert to page out on bandwidth utilization for various WAN interfaces once they pass a predefined threshold. Lots of our WAN links are multilink bundles. (i.e. we bundle 2 T1's into 1  multilink interface). I have setup a custom interface property called 'WanAlerts'. On those multilink interfaces I have set the value of WanAlerts=YES.

Then in my alert suppression I tell it to suppress when ANY of the following is true:

WanAlerts is not equal to YES

My goal is to only be alerted when the multilink interfaces reaches their threshold. As it stands now I'm also getting alerts for the actual T1's that make up that multilink interface even though I have not changed my custom property 'WanAlerts' to YES on the specific T1's, only the multilink.

Hope that makes sense. If anyone can lend a hand I appreciate it.

• I feel your pain. You still want to monitor the individual T1's for Up/Down status and errors, but only want the utilization % checked on the Multilink yes?

I'm in the same boat and would like to know if you figure anything out!

• Yea…pretty much. I’ve created custom HTML pages where I just have the multilink interfaces listed for cleanliness on my end. That helps clean things up especially for the top 10 list which basically will list all the interfaces and the multilink.  Now my goal is to setup custom alerts to page on utilization thresholds but I don’t want to get 3 pages on a 2 x T1 bundle. One for each T1 and one for the multilink interface.

Because I have created a custom interface property and applied it only to the multilink interfaces with a value of ‘YES’, as well as an alert suppression that IMO basically says “suppress the alert if the custom property does not equal ‘YES’ I was under the impression that I would only receive these alerts for interfaces that were multilink b/c of the custom property setting / alert suppression.

I get alerts … just not getting the suppression part of it to work correctly. I’ll look at posting a screenshot of my rules.

Todd
  • Not sure what the deal was with this, maybe I just wasn't patient enough when I was changing things around.

Things do appear to pretty much be working the way I expected them to. I am receiving alerts on just the multilink interfaces and not the T1's that make up the multilinks.

If anyone runs into trouble with I can potentially lend a hand. Let me know.

• Hi Berto,

Can you please post your alerts with screenshots that would really help?

How is the routers without Multilink interface is setup for alerts?

Can we alos use the interfaceTypename for this?

Any advice woudld be really helpful

-C

• Hi Chandru,

Here's my alert. As you can see, pretty simple. I have an identical alert setup for Xmit Percent Utilization.

I setup a customer interface property called "WanAlerts". On the interfaces that I want to track with this alert I assign "Internet" to that custom interface property.  Case is important (i.e. internet won't work, the i needs to be uppercase, Internet) because that's how I defined the alert.  Now I only assign WanAlert=Internet to the multilink interface and not the T1's that make up the bundle.

For the routers without Multilink you would just assign WanAlert=Internet to those interfaces. Doesn't matter what kind of interface it is, if the custom interface property I created, WanAlerts=Internet then it will trigger (and in my case the utilization would also have to be above 85%).

I even have a separate alert that triggers on WanAlerts=Branch.  This way I can use the same custom interface property I already created and create another alert to trigger on something else. I do this for some alert suppression reasons mainly.

I'm not familiar with the interface Typename off the top of my head, but if it's in one of the menus or sub-menus  (like you see in the picture) then  you can use it.

• Thanks Breto!

That really helped and i will be setting up that alert for bandwidth

I am also interested in the custom html page you have for all the features

Can you share with me please?

• Glad I could help Chandru,

Orion NPM has so many options and ways to customize things. Almost weekly I learn something new whether a different way to display something, or how to better track things with advanced features such as alerts.

What I was referencing above isn't really custom html (although I do have some pages like gauges that do). What I created (what you see below) is a custom summary view which you can create under the "Admin" portion of NPM.

In column 1 of my summary page I just have "Percent Utilization of All Interfaces"

Then I create a "view limitation" that only includes the interfaces I'm interested in.

There's many ways you can display/do things in NPM. Ocassionally I come across some cool posts where people share how they customize their setup. I'm still trying to find the ultimate sticky post where this info gets centralized.  I recommend playing around in Admin -> Views -> Manage Views

• Thanks agin!! I am still learning and i think lots more to learn and play with

CAn you post the links that helped you which i can go through and understand and also post some of the cool stuff you have

I would also l ike to customise lots of things and looking for information that would really help me point in the right direction

I will start playing with views in Admin tool bar

Do you have good stuff to show netflow reports and any information on NCM?

I will try and go through the forums but if you could help with stuff that would really make life easier

Thanks again!!

Any other useful information, please share

thanks

Chandru

• I have a similar, related issue.  While I have the alerts handled as suggested in this thread, one issue I still see is clutter in my utilization summaries.  With mutlilink interfaces, if the multilink is at 100%, all of the bundle members are also at 100%.  When looking at utilization summaries, I see the multilink and 2-8 bundle members, all indicating 100% utilization.  All I want from a bundle member is up or down state, and errors.  I have no interest in the utilization of a member.

Has anyone tackled that, or are we looking at a feature request?

Steve Extrand

Sr Network Analyst

(1) Orion v10 SLX polling engine & Additional Web Server 35500 elements

(3) Orion v10 SLX polling engine

(3) NTA v3.7 775 interfaces

(3) IPSLA SLAX

• What version are you on?  What is described here was the old school way of doing alert suppression.  With 10.1 we added a new method.  See here and here for more data