This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert Problem

Hi, i have a question regarding the alert of NPM. I create an alert say that if my switch status equal to down then it will sms to me. And the alert evaluation frequency i set to check every 1 minute. Does this means that if my switch was continuous at down status the sms will send every 1 minute? I kinda confuse regarding this alert. Other configure i was remain as default. How do i set the alert will only send once when it detect is down for like example 1 hour. I don't want to send me 60 sms alert if my switch was down for an hour.

Sorry for poor english. Hope u guys can help me.thanks in advance 

• By setting the frequency to 1 minute you will not be sent a message every one minute while the device is down. 

The alert evaluation frequency is how often the alert criteria is checked against all of the systems in your database.  The thing to understand is that the alert engine is completely independent of the polling engine.  The polling engine just polls devices to determine their status.  As a completely separate process the alerting engine goes through and checks for the criteria that you have specified in your alert definitions. 

By setting an alert evaluation frequency you are telling the system how often you would like it to go though and check for anything that meets that criteria.  Generally you don't want this set more frequently than your polling intervals because you will be wasting cycles checking the same data-points.

Because the advanced alerts that you configure are stateful, they should only send you a message once when it triggers.  You can setup escalations if you want additional notifications for the same alert but that is something that isn't configured by default.

Hope this all helps!

• Hi byrona, thanks for the clarify. However, I was curious about that i set the polling engine poll every 5 minutes, then set the alert evaluation frequency for every 6 minutes. It is ok for this configuration? Furthermore, i received 5 same sms at a same time when an alert had trigger. What probably is this cause?

• Having polling set to every 5 minutes and alert evaluation set to every 6 minutes should not cause a problem.

When you received the 5 SMS messages, was there only one alert triggered for one device?

• Hi byrona, right now i had change my configure 

poll every 330 second

collect statistic every 5 min

evaluate every 6 mins

is this ok for this config?cause i really confuse about how to set those timer.

Ya, i received the message that only trigger by one alert. One more question, i set my condition trigger the alert when status equal to down n node name equal to my server. however i will get an alert sms indicated that status is unreachable. FYI, the server had restart due to windows update, is this probably the problem that cause send multiple message at a same time?and the alert was send within 1 minute. Hope u get what i means. thanks