cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Alert Engine Beta

The new alert engine is so much more flexible and usable but one aspect that it does fall down on is it's macros, it now does not even put any basic macro in the outbound alert you have to look them all up.

But what might of been an even bigger benefit and made the product almost perfect is a drop down list of all the different macros type you can select then just select them from the list and place them in the alert where required, rather than having to look them up all the time. Similar to how our ISS Preventia IDS appliance allows you to build alerts from a drop down list of all available macros.

Where has the test alert feature gone?

Thanks

Jon

IT Infrastructure Manager
Pilgrim Hospital
UK
0 Kudos
35 Replies
Level 7

What about dependencies ? I would be great to have the ability to create device groups, then assign dependencies to the group as a whole - i.e. all switches behind a router at a site are dependant on the router. Then have the option to have alerting set to not alert on the nodes dependant on another node... i.e. if router x goes down, automatically do not alert on all the nodes dependant on that node.

will this ever happen ? it's a real pain to have to setup an alert and it's supression for every site I have, as well as dependencies within that site for larger locations. I'd like to see this simplified. that way if I add a switch or any other node to a group - I know it's automatically going to be covered in an alert that's already been created, vs having to go update the alert each time.

I imagine this grouping capability could also be applied to numerous other functionality within orion - view limitations, reporting, etc...
0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi,
When installing the new alert engine, do I need to re configure the database and website with the config tool? Or have i done something wrong?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Level 14

2 suggestions:

1. I think it would also help to have a "Are you sure?" to "PEBKAC"-proof the deletion of alerts. I've deleted an important alert at least once in the alert engine that comes with the Orion distributation. I'll say it was because of an overanxious trigger finger 😕

2. The ability to acknowledge an alert via the Orion website. Maybe this is already integrated, but I'm too blind to find it?

-evt
0 Kudos
Level 14

quote:Originally posted by Don331

Still need some way to set up a global alert supression easily. A good example is a branch office that has a router, a switch, and a server.
Having to set up a rule for every device in a branch gets old real fast.
It would be cool to have a table to group the node ID's of nodes into logical groups, and then set up at least 2 levels of supression .

How about setting up custom properties in your nodes which denote a "dependency level" or "dependency class" and setting up your suppression based upon those values? For instance, we have colocation customers and different types of access customers. In my Orion DB, I've set up a DepClass property which has values such as "immediate", "hosting", "t1-access", "eth-access", etc. Depending on the alert I'm setting up, I add a different dependency class to the suppression. I know it's not automatic, but it seems to work okay for me and doesn't take long at all if you sort nodes by various properties in the Custom Property editor.
0 Kudos
Level 12

Still need some way to set up a global alert supression easily. A good example is a branch office that has a router, a switch, and a server.
Having to set up a rule for every device in a branch gets old real fast.
It would be cool to have a table to group the node ID's of nodes into logical groups, and then set up at least 2 levels of supression .

Don Barry
Aegis Mortgage Corp
Houston, TX
0 Kudos
Level 7

New Engine is a Great improvement! I know it's still Beta but was wondering if anyone else was running into this problem. When I make a copy of an alert the Trigger Actions & Reset Actions seem to copy over but, if I go back and edit the actions they seemed to have disappeared.

Thanks

Jim Algiere
0 Kudos
Level 7

Hi,

I just downloaded the beta. But do I have to run the wizard again? Will it affect any of my data?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Level 7

Don,

Thank you as always!

*off to try the new alert engine*
0 Kudos
Level 9

Excellent question !!

If you add the Orion Version 8 Alert Engine to an Orion Version 7 installation, you will now have 2 Alert Engines. The version 7 will continue to function as always. The version 8 will also be available (via a different user interface). There is no Alert migration in the pre-release version.... your existing Alert Engine and the new one will both function at the same time.

The version 8 Alert Engine (and Orion management packs) were originally designed for Orion V8 only, but we felt that Orion V7 customers would also receive benefit from using some of the Orion V8 extensions on the current release before Orion V8 was available.

The Orion Version 8 Alert Engine is a free upgrade to Orion Maintenance Customers.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I've been dying to try the new Alert Engine, but my question is what happens to all my current alerts? Do they get migrated? Or do I have to start over?
0 Kudos
Level 9

quote:Originally posted by CCrew

Still no hooks into the Application Management pack?

-Roger

Download and install the latest Application Monitor release. It should include extensions for the Orion V8 Alert Engine.
0 Kudos
Level 13

Don,

Would it be possibler to add a feature to the alert reset that is customizasble by us, what I'm thinking off is the ability to add a reason why the Node\Interface triggered the alert, as our alerts get sent to everyone and there pet dog and rather than having to send out a sperate e-maile or phone everyone if we could incorporate it into the alert reset it would save us a lot of time?

With the alert escalation would it be possible that when someone acknowledges an alert a pop up comes up and asks for name and department and adds this to some sort of log that is kept when alerts are acknowledged either in the database or in a text file so we have an audit trail if nothings done about an alert even though it has been acknowledged?

Thanks

Jon

IT Infrastructure Manager
Pilgrim Hospital
UK
0 Kudos
Level 7

Still no hooks into the Application Management pack?

-Roger
0 Kudos
Level 9

Keep in mind, this is a "pre-release", not the final release.

On the macros .... we will probably be adding a Macro Builder feature to the actions. The supported Macros in the new engine are far, far more advanced than the previous version. The new set of Macros can be as simple as the current set, or as complex as refering to related devices or interfaces, or even run SQL statements. So... a Macro Builder will be needed.

As for Test Alerts. It is not available in the pre-release. They are still unsure what the best method of implementing that feature is. Since, the new Alert Engine is service based, generating a genuine Test Alert is more difficult. But, I'm sure they will figure something out.
0 Kudos
Level 12

I agree, where's the test button?

Also, is there any docs of what has changed in the beta?
Don Barry
Aegis Mortgage Corp
Houston, TX
0 Kudos