This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert Dependency does not work

Hi forum,

I has read solarwind document about managing dependency, I think the sense behind that is quite simple.

However when applying it in my system, it doesn't work. I create a simple case by creating a new alert to a specific node. Then I create dependency with the parent object as interface of up stream SW and the child object as the node which I created alert for. When I pretend to shutdown the interface, the alert for downstream node still fine and the Node status is down. The alert should not fine and the Node status should be unreachable.

Do I misunderstand the meaning of dependency, or make wrong configuration anywhere? Please point me out!

Thanks a lot!

• Because you are shutting down the port, the alerts don't get activated. Shutdown is an admin command. However if you pulled the cable out instead, then your alert should happen the way you say.

• Thanks for reply,

Does dependency know what type of alert and what type of action such as shutting down, unplugging cable I am doing?

To my case, I has already add shutdown action in trigger condition for the alert. The alert for shutdown interfaces fired well. My dependency does not prevent alert of child objects.

• I don't exactly follow what you're saying now sorry. But all alerts (dependencies included) know when to fire an alert off. So it knows if a cable has failed as opposed to an interface being admin shutdown.

Please post up your alert and describe what you are hoping to see it will do. I will take a look at it for you.

BTW, did you try the alert by pulling out the cable rather than shutting down the interface?

• Thanks for your time,

Attachments are my alerts, one for shutdown or down interfaces, the other for remote down nodes. I want when the trunk interface of upside Sw is down/shutdown, only alert for that interface, not alert for downside Access Switch down.

Actually I do read the Solarwind book about dependency, but I have never been successful in configuring dependency. We have sites and building blocks like some examples in books. My final purpose is to prevent unnecessary alerts when the wan links down.

attachments.zip
  • Your alerts look ok.

Unnecessary alert supressions is done via dependency groups. Have you created a group where the interface is the parent and the nodes are the child objects? Then if the parent goes down, alerts for the child objects are supressed.

This concept happens automatically with nodes and interfaces. So if a node goes down, you only get an alert for the node, not all the interfaces (that you are monitoring on that node) as well.

If you've created a dependency group, please post it up.