This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Advanced Alerts:System Uptime HP Windows 2003/2008

We would like to get Orion NPM to send an e-mail when a server reboots. If we use the default setting in Advanced Alerts of the Last Node Reboot then it uses the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3 which actually only indicates when SNMP restarted and not when the Node reloaded.

We are using HP 380G6, HP380 G5,  HP BL460G1, HP BL460G5 and HP BL460G6 in a Windows 2003/2008 environment. I have tried to use the customer poller CPQoS-MIB:cpqOSSytemUptime:1.3.6.1.4.1.232.19.2.2.2. This provides a more relevant system uptime result however this is in a text string

eg: 0 Day(s) 5 Hour(s) 28 Minute(s) 26 Second(s)

3 Day(s) 2 Hour(s) 30 Minute(s) 57 Second(s))

I either need to convert this text result into an alert eg times less than 5 mins have rebooted or can someone provide another OID which can be used. Any help appreciated.

MagicChunk

• Can't you use the advanced alert called Alert me when a node reboots?  It's trigger condition looks like this:

And emails like this:

• ecklerwr1,

The problem with using this alert is it doesn't represent when the node rebooted but when the SNMP service was restarted. The SNMP service can bounce but that doesn't mean that the whole device has been rebooted. It isn't an accurate method for monitoring.

• So I wasn't able to get the output from the poller," CPQoS-MIB:cpqOSSytemUptime:1.3.6.1.4.1.232.19.2.2.2" converted into anything useful so I have tried to now use a different poller.

Host-Resources-MIB:hrSystemUptime 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1

This appears to be a more accurate measure of the last time the node rebooted. The problem with this poller is that the format is "time ticks". I'm able to transform the values in UnDP to a more meanful value of minutes. I'm able to publish the poller result in Report writter  however I can't get  advanced alerts to send an e-mail when it sees a low value indicating that a reboot has occurred. I believe that alerts can't see this value as a numerical value. Any suggestions welcome.

• After reading another post by Yann, I was able to enable the advanced alerts criteria to only match on the transform poller.

Poller Name is equal to NameOfYourTransformPoller

To select "Poller Name" : Custom Pollers (Current Status) > Custom Interface Pollers > Poller Name

So in summary I'm now able to custom poll to servers and get a time tick which I divide by 60,000 in a transform to convert to minutes. When Advanced Alerts sees a polled value of less than 30mins, it believes a reboot has occured and an e-mail is  sent to notify the server team.