This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Advanced Alert Management - My Arch Nemesis

I have once again found myself with an interesting use case for which I can't find a good solution.  Advanced Alerts has once again taken me out back and beaten the $%&* out of me.

I have a generic Advanced Alert set to notify my NOC anytime an application component goes down.  I need my NOC to be aware of all of these.

I also have several cases where I have specific people/customers that want a notification when specific application components go down.  Crafting advanced alerts to accomplish this is not a problem.

The problem is that I end up in a situation where only one application component goes down but I end up with several alerts in the All Triggered Alerts view.  Having a bunch of Triggered Alerts showing up for a single incident is less than favorable.

The only thing I could think of that would solve this particular problem would be to have an option on any given Advanced Alert to have it NOT show up in the All Triggered Alerts view.

Any advice to help me with my plight would be greatly appreciated!!!

• I think I have a similar situation but I could see this getting really complex if the conditions get more complicated than what I have. Here's what I do:

If I understand correctly, you have this situation presently:

Alert 1: ANY app goes down. Action: Notify NOC team

Alert 2: App A goes down. Action: Notify Team A

Alert 3: App B goes down. Action: Notify Team B

What I do looks like this:

Alert 1: ANY app goes down. Action: Notify NOC team. Supress if App= App A, B

Alert 2: App A goes down. Action: Notify Team A AND NOC team.

Alert 3: App B goes down. Action: Notify Team A AND NOC team

etc.

As long as you have only one team per app plus the NOC team, this is pretty straightforward, just add another suppression condition to the first alert every time you add a new specific app alert.

• Thanks, this is a good solution, probably the best I will get.

Unfortunately as things grow I expect to have somewhere in the realm of 50-100 apps at which point this may be a bit of a mess.

• Another option would be to be able to setup views of with subsets of the active Alerts, rather than just All Active Alerts.

• I think I have a similar situation but I could see this getting really complex if the conditions get more complicated than what I have. Here's what I do:

If I understand correctly, you have this situation presently:

Alert 1: ANY app goes down. Action: Notify NOC team

Alert 2: App A goes down. Action: Notify Team A

Alert 3: App B goes down. Action: Notify Team B

What I do looks like this:

Alert 1: ANY app goes down. Action: Notify NOC team. Supress if App= App A, B

Alert 2: App A goes down. Action: Notify Team A AND NOC team.

Alert 3: App B goes down. Action: Notify Team A AND NOC team

etc.

As long as you have only one team per app plus the NOC team, this is pretty straightforward, just add another suppression condition to the first alert every time you add a new specific app alert.

As an important note, you don't actually want to use the suppress tab in this case as if you do you will not receive any alerts to the NOC team for anything so long as App A and/or B is down.  Instead you need to build this into the alert criteria.