This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Additional Poller SQL permissions

I am new to the SolarWinds environment and I have been tasked with installing an additional polling engine to our environment.  Our current NPM version is 11.0.1 and we use a SQL Standard 2008R2 db.  The access to the db is highly restricted so the configuration wizard is failing because of limited db access.  I have found a few posts that suggest granting the SW db account full rights, run through the config wizard, then back the permissions down to db_owner for that db and run the wizard again.  I am guessing that is what was done during the install of the main polling server since I am using that db account now.  Is this correct?  Will the additional polling server be able to do what it needs to do once the permissions are backed down?  I understand this will need to be done for each upgrade as well, correct?

Thank you for responses.

• i dont remember giving our user more then DB owner

even if helpful when upgrading if it needs to create new db's I can't see why an additional poller config wizard would need more then DB owner.

• Thank you for the reply.  The SQL account we use for SW currently has DBO on the database.  Our SQL DB Admin ran a trace on the db while I was running the wizard and found that it was looking for the account to have higher permissions.  I found this in another thread and I think it might be the answer.  I was looking to confirm that this will work for the additional polling system as well.

Correct AnswerRe: SQL db for Orion NPM install

sean.martinez Aug 18, 2010 2:28 PM (in response to Questionario)

You are right, you could use the SA or other higher rights, run through the Configuration Wizard. Once it completes, rerun the Configuration wizard and use the Other rights. 

Please Note: you will have to do this for every upgrade and Service Pack. Also, if you have an issue support has to deal with and you are not around to note that the User does not have rights, it may delay the amount of time to resolve any potential issue.

Thank you for your time and responses.