This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Adding nodes (ICMP) from excel file or some type of file

Hello Thack Community

We are looking to import around 1000 ICMP nodes from a file. Discovery will be very time consuming due to our NAT'd environment. Really looking to import a file with IP address (WAN) and name of device.

Is there a way to import using a excel csv or text file? If so where do I get the format? I did see a post from 2016 about a Beta import process but I cannot seem to find this in "All Settings".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Russell Dodd

• https://github.com/solarwinds/OrionSDK/tree/master/Samples/PowerShell

There is where the code is. You will need to install the Solarwinds SDK to use. 

• You've hit a good request.  I have a network of ~55,000 end devices supported by switches, routers, firewalls, and WLC's whose number approaches 1,000.  Some were added to NPM manually over the last sixteen years, but many were discovered using the Network Sonar Wizard.

I recognize you don't want to use Discovery due to your NAT'd environment, but it seems like the Network Sonar Wizard is made to accommodate any list of IP addresses in the "IP ADDRESSES" field.  

Enter in one IP address or hostline per line (you should be able to copy them from a spreadsheet or text file and paste them in here) and you might just be set.

(I tried to paste in a screen shot of this, but that seems to not be enabled in the new Thwack.  I saved the screen shot and tried to upload it as a Photo and received the error:  "Uploading Capture.PNG resulted int he following err:  You have reached your upload limit of 1,000 images."   Hmmm.  Not recently, I haven't.)

• Dont know what ps1 file to use could you provide further details?

• I think starting with post is the way to go. Use the IP from your spreadsheet and paste into the Network disocery wizzard. The .ps1 file I think you are asking about is a script that you write to meet your needs using the SDK in the first post.

• This is the example on how to add nodes via Powershell. 

https://github.com/solarwinds/OrionSDK/blob/master/Samples/PowerShell/CRUD.AddNode.ps1

As mentioned you can do it within the network discovery resource. I usually don't paste a thousand in at a time usually around 250. If they are ICMP only nodes just crank down the SNMP and WMI discovery settings as low at they will go and you may want to bump up the discovery time to >60 minutes. 

Let them run overnight if you have to. 

• Yea, I'd agree, if you're only doing this once, do it by pasting the devices into the discovery wizard.   Quite easy to do...

If you're going to do it repeatedly, figuring out the Powershell might be worthwhile, otherwise a waste of time.   Pasting it into discovery wizard should take a few minutes to complete.  Very easy..

I think its the first step of the discovery wizard where it asks you how you want to discovery, just click on "IP Address".   It opens up a box where you put one device per line, quite easy to paste from excel (single column) or a text file.

On another tab you can limit it to ICMP only, or include devices that are only via ICMP.   You can delete all SNMP creds and WMI creds if there.  Click discover at the end and then import all the boxes...

• Thank you we need to add a custom property along with the node name into the mix here so we are looking to develop a powershell script as we speak - if it works we will post for example

Crossing fingers

• It's pretty easy to set custom properties by other methods, either the custom property editor or via an alert.

For instance, based on the node name, when a node is added we can set a custom property of who is the responsible party.    If the node exists and doesn't have the custom property set, an alert is triggered which sets the property for us.