cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Adding MIBs to Orion

I'm wondering if there is a way that I could add MIBs to Orion?? I have a device that has MIBs but Orion knows nothing about that device. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
46 Replies
Level 8

If you feel you have a MIB that hasn't yet been integrated into our Master MIB, try this first:

- Open the Univesal Device Poller program (Start -> All Programs -> SolarWinds Orion -> Network Performance Monitor -> Universal Device Poller)

- Select NEW UNIVERSAL DEVICE POLLER

- Select Browse MIB Tree

- Select Search MIBs

- Search by NAME (or OID) and then enter the Name or OID into the search field.

- in this case I searched for BdStatsEntry found in the BD.MIB, and it returned this MIB information:

1.3.6.1.4.1.289.2.1.1.51.2.2.1 (BD-MIB:bdStatsEntry)

This would mean the MIB is already integrated into the Orion Master MIB.

If you are not able to find the OID's you are looking for this way then please open a support ticket with NPM support and provide the MIB in your first reply email and let them know you were unable to find any OID's from this MIB.  Support will help you get that integrated into our Master MIB.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I need the APC PowerNet MIB added to Orion please.

ftp://ftp.apc.com/apc/public/software/pnetmib/mib/403/powernet403.mib

0 Kudos

You will need to open a Support Ticket, and we will add them to the Database, and the Support Technician will notify you when they are available.

Adding new MIBs to the SolarWinds MIB Database does not automatically add monitoring or additional  functionality  other than for Traps. Adding MIBs will help you if you are using Universal Device Pollers as indicated below.

Note: After submitting your MIBs to the SolarWinds MIB Database, you must download and install the new, updated MIB database to gain the benefits of your added MIBs.

Universal Device Poller

If you do not immediately know the OID that you want to poll, you can use the Universal Device Poller application to browse the MIB tree to find the data you want to poll. If you already know the MIB and/or OID for the data you want to poll, you do not need to add the corresponding MIBs to the SolarWinds database. Of course, adding your MIBs may be of assistance to another SolarWinds user in the future.

The following resources provide more information about Universal Device Pollers:

Traps

If your Orion server receives a trap from a monitored device, and the relevant MIB for the trap does not exist in the installed SolarWinds MIB Database, Orion may not display the correct data. Providing the relevant MIBs for your devices will resolve this issue, once the updated MIB database is installed.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Has there been any more accomplished on this yet?  I've got equipment I'd like to try using Orion to monitor but it doesn't have it's vendors MIBS built in.  I can obtain them myself though.  I'm trying out version 8.1 of Orion.  I can not find any mention on the main Solarwinds web site yet about being able to do this.

0 Kudos

Yes, we support polling of custom MIBs.  I think you'll be more successful with Orion 8.5.1, which is the current version.

A couple of resources for getting going with this:

http://www.solarwinds.com/resources/democenter/Orion/OrionCustomPollerSetup/OrionCustomPollerSetup.html?CMP=ILC-TUT-OCCP

http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=SolarWinds&file=OrionAGMonitoringCustomMIBs.htm#10002045 

0 Kudos

Additional resources-see attached pdf

links- 

0 Kudos

Denny, thanks for the quick response!  Are you saying then that I CAN add a vendor supplied MIB into Orion 8.5.1?  I would expect then that yes, I could setup a custom pollers to poll OID's from that vendor supplied MIB.  Is this correct?

0 Kudos

Are you saying then that I CAN add a vendor supplied MIB into Orion 8.5.1?

Our MIB database has tens of thousands of vendor MIBs, and the custom MIB poller will leverage that DB (which is not the same as what's built-in), but even if we don't have that MIB, all the Custom Poller needs is the OID.  You do not need the MIB--just the OID.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Just to let you all know, I've had a copy of the Alpha of v8 and it supports custom mib polling and it works really well that is once youce found the OID you want to poll.

HTH

Jon

IT Infrastructure Manager
Pilgrim Hospital
UK
0 Kudos

But, custom MIB polling is not the same thing at all as being able to incorporate additional MIBS into Orion.

But speaking of custom MIB polling, has anyone been able to figure out if an Orion custom MIB poller can take the data from a simple byte counter and derive and graph a byte or bit rate from it?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Tandberg and Polycom video conference systems
APC backup systems

Thanks,
Danny Mc?
0 Kudos
Level 7

Hi,

watchguard firewalls would be useful aswell aventail SSL VPN boxes.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Level 7

Aaron, You'll need version 8 when it is available - I do not know the exact date for this yet.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Does anyone know if this is now possible to add/monitor the qos mibs for Cisco?

Thanks,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

APC MIBs mostly, but Checkpoint Firewall-1 MIBs would also be very welcome.

0 Kudos
Level 12

I second the CISCO qos MIBS. It's a must have for us.
0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi Josh,

Packeteer MIBs are a key issue to me. If you could include that in your testing it would be appreciated.

Eric
0 Kudos
Level 7

I would love to see enviromental MIBs added. My core network has Cisco 12410's that have enviromental MIB's that I would love to see through Solarwinds. Currently one of my co-workers wrote a program to pull the information.
0 Kudos
Level 7

APC and Netbotz MIBs, Dell server hardware MIBs, any MIBs that Microsoft MOM uses.

Or just the ability to custom add
0 Kudos
Level 7

We are also looking for APC Powernet MIBs in particular,

Thanks,

Jeff S.
0 Kudos