cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Add the results of two custom pollers?

Jump to solution

I've got two appliances, one on each coast, that are licensed for a specific number of users each.  I can't exceed that number, so it's kinda important to know for a fail-over situation how close I come to hitting that mark.

I've got a custom poller created and running against both that will tell me how many users are logged into each at any given time and graph it.  But I'm just as interested in knowing the total number of users logged into both (the sum of all users) at any given time.  That's the problem.

I've tried to do some reporting but I can't figure out the custom poller reporting logic.

I can get this:
Server A - X - DateTime
Server B - Y - DateTime
Server A - X - DateTime2
Server B - Y - DateTime2

I need this:
All Servers - X+Y - DateTime
All Servers - X+Y - DateTime2

Maybe I'm going about this completely wrong.  Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

I see. I'll make sure the PM sees this as a feature request.

You may be able to create a Historical - Custom Pollers report that displays the result of your pollers, and then edit the report's SQL query to sum the poller results as you need in the report itself. Once you have the report, you can then add it to the web console anywhere you need it.

I can point you to specific places in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide, if you need, to create the report, make the SQL available for editing, and add it to the web console, but I'm not skilled enough in SQL to provide the exact query you would need..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 14

Have you tried a poller transform? You should be able to create a poller that is really just the results of an operation on multiple other pollers. For more information, see "Transforming Poller Results" and following in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide.

0 Kudos

I dabbled in transforms as well.

Since both servers use the same custom poller it just returns 2x that servers' current user count.  I tried creating seperate custom pollers, but the result is the same.

For example:
{WestPoller}+{EastPoller} = 2x whichever server it is applied to, not East+West

There is no way to reference that data of another polled node in a transform.
For Example (to paraphrase the functionality I'm looking for):

{WestServer.WestPoller}+{EastServer.EastPoller} = East+West

So no, transformations do not work in this application.  This thread will validate that.

0 Kudos

I see. I'll make sure the PM sees this as a feature request.

You may be able to create a Historical - Custom Pollers report that displays the result of your pollers, and then edit the report's SQL query to sum the poller results as you need in the report itself. Once you have the report, you can then add it to the web console anywhere you need it.

I can point you to specific places in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide, if you need, to create the report, make the SQL available for editing, and add it to the web console, but I'm not skilled enough in SQL to provide the exact query you would need..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos