cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

APC UPS Battery Alerts NPM 11.5

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has had experience with setting up a custom alert for APC UPS using a Universal Device Poller (specifically upsBasicOutputStatus).

The upsBasicOutputStatus currently has a status of "onLine". What I would like to do is be alerted when this changes. All forum posts seem to answer the question with the old Advanced Alert Manager.

When I try to add a status "not equal to" - there only seems to be pre-set responses that don't include "onLine"

upsalert.jpg

Anyone know the proper way to set this up? Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Level 12

You also get that when you havent set the alert to alert on 'custom poller'

pastedImage_0.png

in my case I want all the nodes to be APC's and the custom poller to be UPSAdvBatteryCapacity'

I have rate or numeric value set to 95 which works.

Level 8

I'm wanting exactly this.. I'm trying to get an UPS percentage alerts so once it hits 60% we'll be notified but the alert won't trigger. I set the values to 100 and changed the polling time to see if that would help but still can't get it to fire. Any idea?

0 Kudos
Level 12

I have a custom poller for all my APC UPS named UPS_TimeOnBattery

I have an alert set that triggers when the value of the poller is >0

This alerts me that the UPS is running on battery

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestion. That would be useful to detect power outages! Mine above is to detect when a battery dies (which happens more often than I'd like:()

0 Kudos
Level 11

If you select "Other" from that column, does it give you a separate field to enter something else, or does it just look for "Other"?

If you want to use SQL to define the trigger, you can try this, and tweak as necessary.

SELECT n.Caption, cps.Status FROM Nodes AS n

JOIN CustomPollerAssignment AS cpa ON n.NodeID = cpa.NodeID

JOIN CustomPollers AS cp ON cpa.CustomPollerID = cp.CustomPollerID

JOIN CustomPollerStatus AS cps ON cpa.CustomPollerAssignmentID = cps.CustomPollerAssignmentID

WHERE cp.UniqueName = 'upsBasicOutputStatus'

AND cps.Status NOT LIKE '%onLine%'

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for the SQL query.... But looks like I figured it out. Need to change the query to "current value" instead of "current status". The drop down then supplies the "onLine" status.

2015-06-18_13-32-16.jpg

0 Kudos
Level 11

Is "changes" a viable option instead of "is not equal to"?

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you don't have to use the drop down....but then again, I'm still on 11.0.1.

0 Kudos
Level 7

No "changes" unfortunately... just all the usual comparative values.

Seems like in older versions you can manually type what you want the status field to be.... In 11.5 you are restricted to the pre-set values.

0 Kudos
Level 11

If you select "Other" from that column, does it give you a separate field to enter something else, or does it just look for "Other"?

0 Kudos
Level 7

I had the same guess as you. It doesn't give another field to use Just "other".

0 Kudos