cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 11

APC Alerts are false

I have an alert for self-test pass or fail. So a few of my 16kVA triggered a self-test but Orion has it as being failed. Logging into the ups is showing the self-test passed. Is my  trigger in correct? Any help would be appreciated. 

marnell_0-1609783950441.png

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 11

Yes, we deal with the same issue. It is a problem with the UPS.

You can reboot the SNMP card which may work for a while but the problem come back.

Only after powering down the UPS completely, then back on does it clear the issue. 

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

The last fail cause will always populate with a value if there was ever a failure. As such it's not an optimal value for triggering an alert on, since it will likely always be triggered after the first time. I would recommend using Syslog instead for this type of alert. 

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

At a minimum, I can tell you that your condition group (or) is unnecessary. If that's the entirety of the alert condition, then that line should be on the same level as the two conditions above it. E.G. no indent. 

0 Kudos

Thanks I changed it to this. Do you know what other scheme I can use to get the correct alert or is this alert even needed in your opinion? I do have it setup to tell me when a battery needs to be replaced and get false positive on that alert as well. 

marnell_0-1609881190664.png

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Level 16

Is the alert for an APC unit and what does it say in the power control unit status?

0 Kudos

The alert just lets us know if the scheduled self-test on the battery pass or fails. Then we can start looking into an issue with the software or device having issues. Is there a better alert scheme I should use by your recommendations?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos