This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

A Tips & Tricks page to share your home-made gadgets & widgets

I benefit from the expertise and training and ideas of others, and I'm hoping this page can be a starting place for folks to share their tips and tricks that make their lives easier.

No item is too simple to include.  Please dig into your secret box of obvious / minor / customizations and show off how you've made your network management life easier.  Don't worry it's too simple, too specialized, and don't assume everyone knows how to do it already.  All levels of people might learn from your special work!

Here's a starter:

Build a new Google Chrome Search engine shortcut like this:

1. Go to Chrome://settings
  2. Click Manage Search Engines
  3. Click Add
  4. Enter in a name for your search engine.  I recommend making it as short and intuitive as possible.  In this example I'll use "npm".  This is particularly useful for me because I made an FQDN for my main Solarwinds instance, and then added a CNAME on my internal DNS to it that is simply "npm".
  5. Use "npm" as the keyword in the second field.
  6. Type in this URL, (modified for your own Solarwinds' server's name by replacing "npm" with your server's name--or probably even its IP address):   npm/.../NodeSearchResults.aspx
  7. Click Save

Now use your new shortcut:

1. With Chrome open to your NPM home page (you've already logged into it), type "npm" (without the double-quotation marks) into the url and hit the space bar.  A new search engine opens up.

pastedImage_12.png

2. Type any part of your node's name into it and hit Enter.  VOILA!

I hate to classify this in Thwack's Cool & Geeky section;  few folks will see it there.

If you have some Cool & Geeky tips & tricks for ANY part of Solarwinds, I'd love to see them in a response down below.

Swift Packets!

Rick Schroeder

• Our installation makes fairly heavy use of UnDPs for quite a few different objects. Manually entering those in 1 by 1 would take way to long and be horribly tedious. So we came up with this after not finding a good solution elsewhere. There was an import and export button so we knew it was possible somehow just needed to work out how. Below is what we came up with.

First we exported one for an example.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<CustomPollers version="9.0">

<CustomPoller UniqueName="BurstyErroredSecondsT10/3/1" Description="" OID="1.3.6.1.2.1.10.18.7.1.9.9" MIB="1.3.6.1.2.1.10.18.7.1.9.9" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="MG" PollerType="S" Parser="Text" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

</CustomPollers>

For testing we built a script to read in a CSV file as below which

OID,Description,Name

1.3.6.1.4.1.935.10.2.1.2.2.1.8.1,1,DElmatInvBatteryVoltage,

1.3.6.1.4.1.935.10.2.1.2.2.1.8.2,2,DELmatInvBatteryVoltage

From there we run a script that puts the GroupName in as an argument for the script. Reads in the csv and writes the OID in the OID and MIB field, the Description in the Description Field, and the UniqueName field is filled with Name+Description.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>          <CustomPollers version="9.0">

<CustomPoller UniqueName="DElmatInvBatteryVoltage1" Description="1" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.935.10.2.1.2.2.1.8.1" MIB="1.3.6.1.4.1.935.10.2.1.2.2.1.8.1" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="testGroup" PollerType="S" Parser="Text" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="DELmatInvBatteryVoltage2" Description="2" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.935.10.2.1.2.2.1.8.2" MIB="1.3.6.1.4.1.935.10.2.1.2.2.1.8.2" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="testGroup" PollerType="S" Parser="Text" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

</CustomPoller>
    </CustomPollers>

Wasn't able to get import these with setting the PollInterval so it defaults as NULL. So the solution for that was to manually update that column in the DB which worked successfully with the following query

UPDATE NetPerfMon.dbo.CustomPollers

SET [PollInterval] = 5

where OID like '1.3.6.1.4.1.935.10.2.1.2.2.1.8%'

Hope this might help out others figure out a quick and easy bulk import of UnDPs.(Or someone will point me to an easier and faster way emoticons_grin.png)

• Now THAT'S what I'M talkin' bout!

It's the little things that have the power.

noisycricket.gif