cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

12.2 NPM Installation Questions

Jump to solution

1) I am installing NPM 12.2 with NCM and have downloaded the package but as I am going through the installation package, I don't see an option to choose which Drive I want Solarwinds to be installed on; it defaults to the C drive.  Is there a way to choose?

2) I will use the SQL Express database for this installation as well.  If I preinstall SQL Express before I execute the installation package, will the package ask me if it will use the current SQL Express or will it automatically create its own?  Will there even be an option to choose?

3) This is for scalability down the road if the network ever gets larger but for now SQL Express has worked out; I'm using the SL500 license and have not reached half the capacity yet but let's say I reach close to the limit of 500 interfaces or need to upgrade my license to SL2000, is there a way to move from SQL Express to a separate SQL database?

I appreciate all feedback and real life experiences.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 16

1. When you launch the falcon installer it will prompt you for questions 1 and 2 see below

1. On the Welcome screen, select the type of installation:
    • Lightweight Installation: Evaluations - Install Orion Platform products as quickly as possible using Microsoft SQL Express and global settings. You can select your preferred product language.
      Note: This selection installs SQL Server Express locally.
    • Standard Installation: Install Orion Platform products with an existing or licensed Microsoft SQL Server. -- Question 2 -- If I preinstall SQL Express before I execute the installation package, will the package ask me if it will use the current SQL Express
    • Add a scalability engine: Install an Additional Polling Engine, Additional Web Server, or High Availability server. If you are installing a scalability engine, see these instructions.
  2. Set the Destination Folder. You can leave this setting as default or select a new location. -- Question 1 -- I don't see an option to choose which Drive I want Solarwinds to be installed on

SolarWinds Orion Installer - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Question 3 Yes you just need to backup your SolarWinds database and restore to the new server

https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Orion_Platform/Migrate_the_SolarWinds_Orion_SQL_databa...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 16

1. When you launch the falcon installer it will prompt you for questions 1 and 2 see below

1. On the Welcome screen, select the type of installation:
    • Lightweight Installation: Evaluations - Install Orion Platform products as quickly as possible using Microsoft SQL Express and global settings. You can select your preferred product language.
      Note: This selection installs SQL Server Express locally.
    • Standard Installation: Install Orion Platform products with an existing or licensed Microsoft SQL Server. -- Question 2 -- If I preinstall SQL Express before I execute the installation package, will the package ask me if it will use the current SQL Express
    • Add a scalability engine: Install an Additional Polling Engine, Additional Web Server, or High Availability server. If you are installing a scalability engine, see these instructions.
  2. Set the Destination Folder. You can leave this setting as default or select a new location. -- Question 1 -- I don't see an option to choose which Drive I want Solarwinds to be installed on

SolarWinds Orion Installer - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Question 3 Yes you just need to backup your SolarWinds database and restore to the new server

https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Orion_Platform/Migrate_the_SolarWinds_Orion_SQL_databa...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos