cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

100Mpbs servers peaks at 133Mbps?

Hello All,

I'm using Orion NPM V7 SLX on a Win2003 Server (SE).

I don't know if you encountered this problem or not, but I did. Maybe someone has an idea about this..

I am monitoring several Windows Servers (NTs, 2000s and 2003s) and a couple of SUNs and I get "Peak Receive bps" and "Peak Transmit bps" greater than the value set at the transmit and receive bandwidth in the interface details. 75% of the monitored servers have peaks under 100Mbps but the other 25% is between 112Mbps and 197Mbps.

All theses "over the top" servers have NIC with 100Mpbs max bandwidth capability and are connected to 100Mbps ports on WS-C3524-XL-EN switched.

Is it a MIB problem? Is is a NIC problem (reporting wrong info)?

Hope someone has an idea about this..

Thanks,


Ciao!
Dom
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 15

You should only select 64bit counters if the device actually supports this.
If it doesn't, you will see a "polldebug.txt" file in the Solarwinds directory.
Here is a sample from mine:

4/15/2004 03:09:Sniff-4519-DSNIFF-LAN1-SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter attempting upgrade to 64 bit counters
4/15/2004 09:09:Sniff-4519-DSNIFF-LAN1-SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter attempting upgrade to 64 bit counters

To fix this, uncheck the 64bit counter support for the device.

-=Cheers=-
NG
0 Kudos
Level 7

This is not looking good! I have the same problem with some of our saturated WAN links (Cisco routers) and they are set for 64 bit counters.

In fact, I have had queries from users alleging that they are seeing utilisation mismatches betweek Orion and they're own 'less spectacular' network management systems (What'sUpMan!

I hope we haven't got a generic problem here! This is fundamental stuff.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Have you tried setting these to 64bit counters? You may be getting rollover errors.

Network Engineer
Emerson Power Transmission
0 Kudos
Level 15

Some vendors rate their 100Mbs switch ports as 200Mbs throughput.
Perhaps their MIBS are rated this way as well ?

-=Cheers=-
NG
0 Kudos
Level 12

I have seen the same thing and am interested in a solution or explanation too. Ours is mostly at night when our backups run, a 100mb nic will show a peak of 112mb or so.
0 Kudos