This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

upgrate cisco 2960 firmware with tar.

Hi

How do I use the  firmware  framework to upload that  tar file  like   "c2960cx-universalk9-tar.152-7.E1.tar"

upgrate and reboot

I can see that I need to change NCM to know tar. in the advance

• so first you need to modify the firmware repository to be able to see TAR files (if they can't already) this link should help with that Firmware repository file extensions

Then you'll need to do modify your upgrade template to issue the appropriate commands for the upgrade see the below screenshot for an example on a 3750

pastedImage_1.png

• sja​, yes I used it on a stacked switch. although for different model families I believe that the command to use the tar is different. I'd recommend verifying the command with the Cisco documentation

• Were you able to get the upgrade to work? I'm think I'm trying to do the same thing and still having some problems. I'm trying to run a firmware upgrade through Solarwinds for a Cisco 2960-X switch stack. Because of the availability of the archive download-sw command, I think that the included 2960 template can be significantly simplified, but I'm still getting an error.

I removed most of the other commands and I have the following value for my upgrade firmware image command. It works in that it starts to run the upgrade, but then it just seems to die without error. It doesn't reload and never shows the additional output that I see on other people's log output.

archive download-sw /reload ${TransferProtocol}://${SCPServerUserName}:${SCPServerPassword}@${SCPStorageAddress}/${NewImageName}

Writing config to NvRAM...

write memory
    Building configuration...

Backup Running config...

Running config backed up successfully

Backup Startup config...

Startup config backed up successfully

Uploading Firmware Image c2960x-universalk9-tar.152-7.E2.tar on device flash:/...

archive download-sw /reload scp://username:password@host/c2960x-universalk9-tar.152-7.E2.tar
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    examining image...
    extracting info (110 bytes)
    extracting c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E2/info (688 bytes)
    extracting info (110 bytes)
    Stacking Version Number: 1.119
    System Type:             0x00000000
      Ios Image File Size:   0x01978200
      Total Image File Size: 0x0276A200
      Minimum Dram required: 0x08000000
      Image Suffix:          universalk9-152-7.E2
      Image Directory:       c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E2
      Image Name:            c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E2.bin
      Image Feature:         IP|LAYER_2|SSH|3DES|MIN_DRAM_MEG=128
      FRU Module Version:    No FRU Version Specified
    Old image for switch 1: unknown
    Old image for switch 2: unknown
    Old image for switch 3: unknown
    Extracting images from archive into flash...
    Extracting images from archive into flash on switch 2...
    Extracting images from archive into flash on switch 3...
    Warning: Unable to allocate memory to display the tar extraction of files,
             however upgrade process is still continuing. If you would like to 
             see the tar extraction output, try upgrading one switch at a time.
    Warning: Unable to allocate memory to display the tar extraction of files,
             however upgrade process is still continuing. If you would like to 
             see the tar extraction output, try upgrading one switch at a time.

Upgrade Complete on node

If I login to the stack and run show archive status, the output shows that no upgrade is in progress...

IDLE: No upgrade in progress

Image Size Downloaded: 0