cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cnorborg
Level 16

Re: What We Are Working On Now...

Jump to solution

Been back to working with policy manager a bit and have a few features I'd love to see...

1)  Add a "copy" function to managing rules/policies.    We're trying to produce our policies to match the written policies of our security team, so we have several rules that are very similar with just minor changes because they are different written rules.  It would be much easier to copy the rules rather than having to put them in each time.  Plus, if you're working on modifying or enhancing a rule, rather than working on the original it would be nice to make a copy and play with that.

2)  You can test rules against live configs in your database, however - if you want to test against things it should be failing on you might not want to have to modify your configs with the things your testing to make sure they fail, save the config, update the database and then test.   So, I propose a text box you can paste a config snippet into and then "test" your rule to see if it works/fails.  I would think this would be awesome for debugging rules.

3)  When working with rules I tend to need to see what rules are already there, or want to only see the rules I created.  This is pretty easy to do by using the "search" box, which quickly filters down the rules to only what you want to see.  The problem is, that search box gets cleared when doing just about anything and your back to having the whole list of rules up there again.  How about either changing the search box so it is a "filter" box instead which is persistent, or adding a separate filter box or something?

4) On the same line as the one above, if I'm managing my rules and have the list up, I might want to sort by "Folder" rather than "Rule Name".  Easy to do by just clicking on that column, however, once again it clears when you do just about anything.  How about making this persistent, or allowing us to customize the view?   Maybe have the ability to take out columns if you don't want them.  Or even maybe allow you to only view rules that are assigned to a report.   See lots of potential "usability" in this...

0 Kudos
Questionario
Level 14

Jump to solution

Hi cnorborg,

#2 is already implemented in NCM 6.1, I used this feature just a few minutes ago ;-)

0 Kudos
cnorborg
Level 16

Jump to solution

Wow, how did I miss that, we are running 6.1 but my eyes just never noticed that in there before!!  That's the quickest implementation of a feature I've ever seen!!  :-)

0 Kudos
achrich
Level 8

Jump to solution

Apoloagies if this has already been mentioned but is their any plan to move away from Scheduled Tasks for job creation ?

This feature is being disabled as a enterprise standard shortly.

0 Kudos
fcaron
Level 15

Jump to solution

Hello achrich,

Can you elaborate on this request?

Are you talking about NCM's "Scheduled Tasks" function?

Can you explain what will not fit you enterprise standard shortly.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
fcaron
Level 15

Jump to solution

Hi cnorborg,

Nice usability requests.

I recorded 1, 3 and 4 (51740) since #2 is in 6.1 already (tks Questionario for pointing this out)

0 Kudos
achrich
Level 8

Jump to solution

Are you talking about NCM's "Scheduled Tasks" function?

yes - the abillity to schedule configuration changes / backups etc

Can you explain what will not fit you enterprise standard shortly.

I`m not a Windows expert but I believe they have a "Group Policy" which prevents the use of it applied.

I appreciate this is probably not on any roadmaps but I`m obliged to ask anyway !

Thanks

0 Kudos
BirdDog
Level 8

Jump to solution

Not sure if already mentioned but is there plans on NCM backing up Cisco UCS configs?

0 Kudos
connectu
Level 7

Jump to solution

Great idea to have a thread like this. 

I assume feature requests are not out of line here. This is a big one that I haven't seen mentioned. I'm going to post a request for the same thing in the IPAM topic. 

MSP support (multitenancy).

You guys are already on track with NPM and the EOC. Taking ALL data and putting it into a customer context, and making the server architecture work in a distributed fashion accordingly. I want all your products (especially IPAM and NCM at the moment) to function the same way.  That might mean a LOT of redesign from the ground up, so you may decide that demand doesn't justify the overhaul. Either way, if you could indicate whether or not this feature is under discussion and/or where it stands, that would help me decide whether or not to buy NCM right now. 

Keep this in mind. If you DO modify the server application to be multi-tenant aware, avoid this pitfall.  In many cases, it might make sense to have a dedicated "Polling/NCM node" for each customer. However, where small customers have 1-5 routers, a full blown installation can't be justified.  Thus, a lightweight remote-poller version of the application with an SSL tunnel back to the central server is the ideal strategy. Even then, the ability to have multiple customers on some polling nodes is also ideal.  Same with NPM and APM.

This comes from broad experience in the MSP sector, with many applications having varying degrees of support, and strategies for supporting multi-tenancy. This type of strategy has licensing implications, but it would be wise to create a totally separate license approach for MSP's anyway.

Regards,
Jerry 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DGoodale
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hey there,

I was wondering if NCM would start supporting the Cisco WAAS devices any time soon? Since I have 100 of them I'd love to see NCM able to back up the configs.

Thanks,

Dan Goodale - Network Engineer II

Triwest Healthcare

0 Kudos