Hi everyone – there’s no summer vacation for the NCM team. We just got NCM 6.0 out the door, and we’re already hard at work on a number of new features. In addition to the routine set of fixes, new device templates, and other optimizations – we’re working on:
Improved Policy Reports – import and export policies, rules, and possibly whole reports. Check for violations in config blocks (interface-level checking). We’re also looking at enhancing the user interface to make policy creation more intuitive and management much simpler.
Support for multiple config types – you’ve asked for this, and we’re working on it now.
Additional IpV6 support – NCM already has IpV 6 support for many activities, and we’re working on additional support.
Improved inventory management – we are working on making this process easier and the reports even more useful.
Additional device templates - including support for Motorola WS5100 WAP and ES3000 switch devices.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I tried the built-in serial report in NCM which is practically useless unless you put a lot of work in it everytime you export it into excel, it lists items that don't even have a serial.
The report I linked I would guess is what everybody would be looking for, perfect to send on which items you need a smartnet contract or something similar for. it lists basically everything you can exchange in your hardware.
I would also like to note that the way NCM presents reports on the web look nice but are not too practical for most larger reports, there should be an option to show the whole report like it does in NPM.
Will NCM be able to support user groups?
This question was previously asked and we were told "this is on our roadmap for our next major version release"
I still can not deploy NCM to local "field" engineers because there is no capability to limit device views to specific groups of AD authenticated users.
The ability to create compliance rules from the web browser would be great.
Also, being able to deploy config snipets to specific devices that are found to be compliant/not compliant from the compliance manager view in the web site.
For instance when you get the warning state of the device you can currently drill down into that device for more information. It would be nice to either have an option to deploy a configuration from that site or to right click on the warning indication.
Hi Chris - I can't give you dates because of our public company rules (such a drag), but I can speak in vague terms - so vaguely - I can say - in the next months. We're already doing customer walk-throughs of some of the features, so it's moving right along.
I still don't quite understand why you don't just use the TCL Expect language in your product for doing config updates and device templates. You could choose to not implement "spawn", but using an existing Expect language means all programming docs and tutorials are already covered on the internet AND you could use modifications of existing RANCID scripts in Cirrus. Just expose the database variables and we could automate anything. Adding a tool like AutoIT to automate HTTP interfaces would complete the toolset for web-only interfaces.
CatTools had this phobia as well, requiring script changes to be compiled and encrypted by the Kiwi folks.
I'm trying to import some devices from Orion to Cirrus,
Running the import wizard...
1. Import wizard does not remember your database credentials. That's a pain. Please allow saving credentials
2. Select import rows screen...
Hi Questionario - it's not currently being worked on, but it is on the road map with very high priority. So I wouldn't look for it in the next release, but it will be something we work on very soon.
Questionario - we do have it, but I assume you meant that you're looking for what user is logged in. You've seen the "discovered links" report in Orion yes? (reports->topology reports->discovered links). What user is logged in is coming up on the road map.
no, i didnt mean which user is logged in...
I actually meant the exact same thing that is already implemented, except also for nodes that are not implemented in orion (I wouldnt want to monitor every single phone and PC...)
Well see - now that's what I get for assuming. As far as monitoring every phone and PC - you just have to monitor the interfaces they are attached to. But when you are working with devices that are wirelessly connected - you will see them without incrementing your license.
Actually, I do have every single interface monitored... we do it to see errors on user ports as well... havent been able to see any users connected though...
I tried again with Orion 10.0 SP1 but ever since I installed SP1, I got more problems than before...
Just noticed that I cant even seem to be able to run that report anymore... but I would think that a search box where like the one for IPAM would be much nicer 🙂
anyhow I might end up going back to pre-SP1 to even be able to browse the orion website....
If you have seen any of my Config Change Template questions, this function needs some more quality time. It just barely works:
1. There is no way to get real-time feedback from the CLI, such as to test for successful command execution. I'd also like to be able to set an exit errorlevel so that the template would flag execution errors. You have to check each execution output file for errors manually.
2. It's not documented if you can use NCM system variables in templates. Getting the date, the name of the login user, etc would be helpful.
3. The template editor has no syntax checking. Checking for pairs of curly brackets would be most helpful. Colored syntax checking (like the VIM editor has in Linux has) would be very helpful. A lookup for variables to insert would also be helful.
4. The validate option doesn't seem to do much. Validation really comes when you try to run the template, and it doesn't give line numbers or anything to debug.
5. Is there a way to stop the Web UI from timing out? I have lost work on scripts several times with the Web UI logs out and I have to log back in. Don't see a way in the Admin settings.
#6 When you go to execute a CCT, the dialog for picking devices to apply it to has no way to filter or sort. I need AT LEAST the IP address listed.
7. I'm having a hard time figuring out which devices I've applied the template to and which I have not. I'd sure like to be able to sort devices by which template were applied, or at the least the date last updated.
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process. Learn more today by joining now.