Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: What We Are Working On Now...

Jump to solution

If you have seen any of my Config Change Template questions, this function needs some more quality time.  It just barely works:

1. There is no way to get real-time feedback from the CLI, such as to test for successful command execution.  I'd also like to be able to set an exit errorlevel so that the template would flag execution errors.  You have to check each execution output file for errors manually.

2. It's not documented if you can use NCM system variables in templates.  Getting the date, the name of the login user, etc would be helpful.

3. The template editor has no syntax checking.  Checking for pairs of curly brackets would be most helpful.  Colored syntax checking (like the VIM editor has in Linux has) would be very helpful.  A lookup for variables to insert would also be helful.

4. The validate option doesn't seem to do much.  Validation really comes when you try to run the template, and it doesn't give line numbers or anything to debug.

5. Is there a way to stop the Web UI from timing out?  I have lost work on scripts several times with the Web UI logs out and I have to log back in.  Don't see a way in the Admin settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

Missed twol

#6  When you go to execute a CCT, the dialog for picking devices to apply it to has no way to filter or sort.  I need AT LEAST the IP address listed. 

7. I'm having a hard time figuring out which devices I've applied the template to and which I have not.  I'd sure like to be able to sort devices by which template were applied, or at the least the date last updated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

Ok Smartd - It took me a little time but I have answers - comments to all your questions. 

1. The issue with feedback on whether a script worked or not is that we don't know what kind of error message the device might return. That being said, I'm tracking this as a feature request for scripts in general, and I will here as well. 

2. You can easily use NCM macros in the script. The only thing is that NCM macros contain ‘{}’ brackets. These brackets are used by the templates as well. So, in order to avoid collision – macros can be used in the following way:

string @macros='${date}'

CLI

{

show @macros 

}

3 & 4. The syntax check  - That's your "validate" button. The syntax check is also performed automatically when you try to execute a template. 

5. Are you getting a session timeout here? You say it happens a lot? I will look into this one a bit more. 

6&7 - I got those entered as feature requests. 

All in all - we haven't had just a lot of feedback on the CCT - so this is really good stuff. Please let me know if you have more ideas or let me know if you any comments on my comments!

--Christine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

Can we get Cisco Switch VTP information added as part of the config backup / inventory?

0 Kudos
Level 15

Jump to solution

Hey jspanitz - I'll add it as a feature request. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

I've added this as a feature request. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

Hi Christine,

I assume user tracking will not make it into the next release?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

Hi Questionario - it's not currently being worked on, but it is on the road map with very high priority. So I wouldn't look for it in the next release, but it will be something we work on very soon. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

😞

was hoping for it to be in the 6 already, its quite a useful feature to give to helpdesk personnel in order to quickly find a certain pc/phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

Questionario - we do have it, but I assume you meant that you're looking for what user is logged in. You've seen the "discovered links" report in Orion yes? (reports->topology reports->discovered links). What user is logged in is coming up on the road map. 

--Christine

0 Kudos