cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 15

What We Are Working On Now...

Jump to solution

Hi everyone – there’s no summer vacation for the NCM team. We just got NCM 6.0 out the door, and we’re already hard at work on a number of new features. In addition to the routine set of fixes, new device templates, and other optimizations – we’re working on:

Improved Policy Reports – import and export policies, rules, and possibly whole reports.  Check for violations in config blocks (interface-level checking). We’re also looking at enhancing the user interface to make policy creation more intuitive and management much simpler. 

Support for multiple config types – you’ve asked for this, and we’re working on it now.

Additional IpV6 support – NCM already has IpV 6 support for many activities, and we’re working on additional support.

Improved inventory management – we are working on making this process easier and the reports even more useful. 

Additional device templates  - including support for Motorola WS5100 WAP and ES3000 switch devices.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 15

Hi everyone - the RC is now ready. If you are interested in participating, please send me a message with your SWID. 

--Christine 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
62 Replies

Ok Smartd - It took me a little time but I have answers - comments to all your questions. 

1. The issue with feedback on whether a script worked or not is that we don't know what kind of error message the device might return. That being said, I'm tracking this as a feature request for scripts in general, and I will here as well. 

2. You can easily use NCM macros in the script. The only thing is that NCM macros contain ‘{}’ brackets. These brackets are used by the templates as well. So, in order to avoid collision – macros can be used in the following way:

string @macros='${date}'

CLI

{

show @macros 

}

3 & 4. The syntax check  - That's your "validate" button. The syntax check is also performed automatically when you try to execute a template. 

5. Are you getting a session timeout here? You say it happens a lot? I will look into this one a bit more. 

6&7 - I got those entered as feature requests. 

All in all - we haven't had just a lot of feedback on the CCT - so this is really good stuff. Please let me know if you have more ideas or let me know if you any comments on my comments!

--Christine

0 Kudos

Can we get Cisco Switch VTP information added as part of the config backup / inventory?

0 Kudos

I've added this as a feature request. 

--Christine

0 Kudos

Hey jspanitz - I'll add it as a feature request. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
Level 13

I'd like to have a LLDP inventory similar to the CDP inventory.  Someone posted a script to add interface descritpions based on CDP results.  I'd love to do that with LLDP since we are not a big Cisco shop

0 Kudos
Level 13

Can we get 3DES encryption for SNMP v3 added? Many of my devices (cisco ASA firewalls) support this encryption.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Will the next version have more flexibility to configure devices via the web interface, instead of me having to give FULL console access to someone that doesnt need it for any other softwar we use?

0 Kudos

Dclick - I added it as a feature request - for internal users it's FB#21526. 

--Christine

0 Kudos

Thanks.

Being able to do most of the funcitons on the Web-Interface instead of having to login to the server and run the application would be a huge plus - ie - adding/removing devices.

0 Kudos

Hi Don - moving more functionality to the web is definitely our long-term goal. We'll have more and more functionality ported with each release. The policy reporter improvements we're working on now will all be web-based - so look for that soon!

--Christine

Level 9

By "Improved inventory management", does that include the ability to store more than one inventory's worth of data?

For example, I want to search for a MAC address. If that machine wasn't connected at the time of the inventory (or, more specifically, still in the MAC table of the device), it won't show up.

I run inventories at night. I tried running multiple inventories, but the last one run simply overwrites the previous.

It makes it difficult to see where users/ devices are (i.e. a user goes on vacation and turns off PC/ takes laptop with).

0 Kudos

Second this.

0 Kudos

By "Improved inventory management", does that include the ability to store more than one inventory's worth of data?

For example, I want to search for a MAC address. If that machine wasn't connected at the time of the inventory (or, more specifically, still in the MAC table of the device), it won't show up.

I run inventories at night. I tried running multiple inventories, but the last one run simply overwrites the previous.

It makes it difficult to see where users/ devices are (i.e. a user goes on vacation and turns off PC/ takes laptop with).

This is very important for us as well.

Our top 2 would be MAC address searching, and auto config downloading and alerting on a change.

0 Kudos

Hi Dfairles - will real time change detection accomplish what you are trying to do? And on MAC address searching - that's on page 44 of the admin guide - or am I not understanding your use case? 

--Christine

0 Kudos

Hi All - these inventory management improvements are on the road map. I don't know if they will make them into the next release, but they are high priority and should be coming up very soon. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
Level 7

What do you mean by "Multiple Config Types"?

If you means support for multiple contexts (Cisco ACE, ASA and FWSM), I will be eager to see that.

There might be workaround available, however it is not native and actually a lot of work to setup for each contexts per device.  We are using context extensively and it is not quite practical to use the workaround.

0 Kudos

What is the work around?  I searched around the forums for a bit, but I didn't see any workarounds for this.  We have an ACE as well, and I was wondering how to do this.

0 Kudos

Sorry, I don't really have a workaround for you right now, but that feature is coming up very soon. 

--Christine

0 Kudos

Yes, that's what we mean. We're working on making that a lot easier. 

0 Kudos
Level 14

Sorry, this is sort of a double post.  I mistakenly posted to the Blog entry the first time.

Any chance to Windows GUI search feature will be ported to the web console?  And perhaps a more automated way to set up realtime change alerts 🙂

0 Kudos

We are indeed working on bringing global search to the integration module (it's only in the standalone website right now). I think that is the search you are referring to? On the real-time change alerts - that's definitely in the plan, but it's a little lower in the priorities. We know it's a pain to set those up though, so we'll be addressing that soon. 

--Christine

0 Kudos