This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upload backed up config with NCM

Hi,

I have a question about an issue I ran into yesterday. I am fairly new user so please forgive my ignorance if the answer is obvious. On to the question,

yesterday one of our branches had a failed router, thanks to the NCM I had a back up of the config. I couldnt figure out how to get the config on the new router that I had sitting at my desk through NCM. The only option NCM gave me is to select my branch router that was already in NCM which was offline because of the failure, I couldnt select my new router to send the backed up config to. Am I missing something? How can I upload a backed up config to a new router and not the one that was in NCM.

Thanks!

• I have been trying this as well, with limited success.

See it here:

Upload config to DELL PowerConnect 6248 & 7048 not working

I can successfully upload backed-up configs to a switch, if the switch is set to factory defaults, with the original IP address re-configured.

I would connect to the switch via console cable, reset to factory defaults, set the management IP address to what is configured in Solarwinds, use NCM to upload a backed-up config and it WORKS

However, if I attempt to upload a previously backed-up running-config to the switch while it already has a running-config, it does NOT WORK

Have you set the new router with all the necessary IP address and SNMP credentials as the old one?

NCM needs as a minimum to see the device and be able to write to it to be able to upload the config.

Alternatively what you can do is:

1. Open NCM > Config Summary > Click on the router

2. Under Config List, click the checkbox next to the backed-up running-config you want to use

3. click Edit Config text and copy all the text in there

4. open a terminal emulation program to your router (e.g. Putty)

5. paste all the text in there and let it run

6. run the copy running-config startup-config or equivalent command on your router

the router will now have the configs

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

You have multiple options, all being manual since it's a new unconfigured router.  You can copy it (and remove line numbers in your view if you have admin rights) from NCM.  Paste it in or save and copy it from a network location.  I do not believe there is currently any bare metal support integrated with NCM AFAIK.

• Thank you for your answers. I wasnt sure if there was a feature where you can just plug in the IP address of the new router and select the config and it would push it out to the router. So manual is the way to do it.

• tim.l.nelson and wildrussian the closest I got to bare metal recovery was to replace IP address and SNMP credentials on new device so NCM can connect to it using the connection profile setup for that device and upload the config.

in the case of a switch I mentioned above it works, in the case of a router it may not be as seamless as mentioned since the routes that allow the NCM server to connect to the device may be required to allow connectivity. IN this case, manual may be needed.