This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Stuff you do when you don't have time - aka "MAC/IP Lookup resource"

Had a colleague ask me a favor the other day.  They are auditing what links we have at sites and are trying to make sure old cable DIA connections are disconnected and such.  I was made aware of it when they said one site had 2 cable connections and I only saw one. They had no idea how to figure out which connection was valid until I told them what the MAC address was of the device that was connected to the interface I was looking at.

So, of course they immediately wanted a complete list of all MAC addresses connected to any interface on any router.   Gack!!   Not to mention double Gack! due to the fact that one of our main routers that had ~125 primary VPN tunnels connected to it had just crashed and wasn't coming back.

So, not having a lot of time to try and figure this one out, and knowing that the list I gave them probably would end up a bit confusing and incomplete, I decided instead to give them the tools so that they could look up the MAC addresses themselves.   How you ask?   I happened to know that NCM downloaded ARP tables of all my routers, and since that's basically how I got it off the router in the first place, it was just a matter of somehow giving them access to this information easily.  So, I created a resource which does just that.   You an put the resource on any page you want in Orion.   Once there, plug in the start of an IP address and it will give you the MAC address(es) associated with those IP's that begin with that IP.  So, in the example shown below, the .13 address is our router, and the .1 IP is the cable modem.

pastedImage_0.png

Also for the fun of it, I added in MAC lookup to it also, type in part of a MAC and it will search for that.

It's very easy to adjust it to fit your own needs.   I have it searching for an IP that starts with what you put in the search box, but adding a "%" at the beginning of the search pattern, you could easy change it from "starts with" to "contains".   With the MAC address part of the search I have it set up to do "contains", which could easily be change to a "starts with" or "ends with" type pattern too.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you find this of use at all!  Here is a link to the downloadable files for it.

Lookup MAC-IP.zip