Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Set Device Template with API/SDK

Jump to solution

I'm brand new to Solarwinds and NCM.

My task is to build a powershell script that deploys and configures Palo Alto Firewalls (virtual machines) and then add to NCM as a node.

I have been able to get most of this done, and I found scripts on GitHub to add nodes to Solarwinds.

In the Solarwinds GUI under Edit Node, there is a YES/NO toggle for "Manage node(s) with NCM". I manage to set that to YES with the API

However, below that there are sections for Connection Profile, Communication and CLI Device Template.

Device Template is set to Auto Determine.

I want to set that to "Palo Alto Firewall" with the API. How do I do that?

Same for Connection Profile settings and Communication settings.

Also How do I GET all those properties, assuming I know the nodeID.

thanks

Roger

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

All the while I've been posting to this thread, it hasn't even been approved for posting.

"Please note: your content was added successfully, but a moderator needs to approve it before it can be posted."

Anyway, in case it ever does get approved. I solved this issue. Instead of set-swisobject, I need to create the object first with new-swisobject.

$newNodeID = "1823"

$paTemplateID = '77'

$templateProps = @{

TemplateID = $paTemplateID;

NodeID = $newNodeID;

}

New-SwisObject $swis -Entitytype  'Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes' -Properties $templateProps

then to check that it was created:

PowerCLI C:\kits> Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT TemplateID,NodeID,DisplayName,Description,InstanceType,Uri,InstancesiteID FROM Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes WHERE nodeid='1823'"

TemplateID     : 77

NodeID         : 1823

DisplayName    :

Description    :

InstanceType   : Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes

Uri            : swis://localhost/Orion/Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes/NodeId=1823

InstancesiteID : 0

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Level 8

This is how far I got:

Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT ID,TemplateName FROM Cli.DeviceTemplates WHERE TemplateName = 'Palo Alto Firewall'"

ID TemplateName

-- ------------

77 Palo Alto Firewall

So the ID is 77.

$newNodeID = "1823"

$paTemplateID = '77'

$templateProps = @{

}

$URI = "swis://localhost/Orion/Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes/NodeId=$newNodeID"

Set-SwisObject $swis -Uri $URI -Properties $templateProps

However this Set-swisObject fails to do anything for node 1823. I even tried putting all the properties in $templateprops.

When I look at one I set manually, node 1817, I see this:

Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT TemplateID,NodeID,DisplayName,Description,InstanceType,Uri,InstancesiteID FROM Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes WHERE nodeid='1817'"

NodeID         : 1817

DisplayName    :

Description    :

Uri            : swis://myinstance/Orion/Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes/NodeId=1817

thanks

0 Kudos

So I discovered that if the Device Template is set to Auto Determine, then running "Set-SwisObject $swis -Uri $URI -Properties $templateProps" does nothing.

But if I manually set the device template to something, then this command does work. I can use the command to set it to any template.

I need to be able to set device template from "Auto Determine" to the one I want, which is ID 77.

thanks

0 Kudos

All the while I've been posting to this thread, it hasn't even been approved for posting.

"Please note: your content was added successfully, but a moderator needs to approve it before it can be posted."

Anyway, in case it ever does get approved. I solved this issue. Instead of set-swisobject, I need to create the object first with new-swisobject.

$newNodeID = "1823"

$paTemplateID = '77'

$templateProps = @{

NodeID = $newNodeID;

}

New-SwisObject $swis -Entitytype  'Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes' -Properties $templateProps

then to check that it was created:

PowerCLI C:\kits> Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT TemplateID,NodeID,DisplayName,Description,InstanceType,Uri,InstancesiteID FROM Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes WHERE nodeid='1823'"

NodeID         : 1823

DisplayName    :

Description    :

Uri            : swis://localhost/Orion/Cli.DeviceTemplatesNodes/NodeId=1823

View solution in original post