This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SSH Connection issue from Solarwinds NCM Dashboard.

Hi Team,

We have recently deployed NCM 7.7 and NPM 12.2 with latest hotfixes in our environment. We are experiencing connection issue while downloading configurations or accessing SSH only  from Dashboard. While using Putty from Server we are not experiencing this issue and this behavior is observed for most of the devices which is located in US office irrespective of manufacturer i.e. Cisco, Palo Alto and Aruba . This was not the case earlier during the time of POC but the version of NCM and NPM are not same during the time of POC.

Even after the latest version of NCM 7.7 and NPM 12.2 it worked for few days and suddenly after some time we started facing this issue.

We tried creating duplicate templates from Working device and only for the first time connection was success later all connections are getting failed. We have already opened support case about a month's back so far we did not get any fix or alternate option to continue with the scheduled backup. Support person has tried connection analyser tool to check the connectivity which is also getting failed.

Not sure what could be the reason for this issue ?? Any suggestions/help is much appreciated.

Note: Firewall rules are already in place and there is no block in any of the firewall. If there is any port or rule block in firewall even Putty session from the server should fail which is not the case here.

Thanks and Regards,

Srikanth

• Srikanth,

What is the error when trying to download the configs?  Are you able to download single configs from a specific node page?

Bryan

• Hi Bryan,

Thank you for the reply. I'm getting Connection Timed Out error. Attaching the screenshot of one of the device for reference. I have created another template for ASA using working ASA template, initially it worked for the first time second time onwards i'm getting the same error. This issue is observed for majority of the devices. We have added 47 devices and scheduled Nightly Backup but unfortunately almost more than 50% of the devices are having this issue (close to 25 devices).

Same template, same credentials (excluding enable password) and same model ASA is working absolutely no issues which is located in Bangalore office, but when i try this for my US office devices i'm facing this issue. I have already opened support case with Solarwinds Tech support (Case # 00053255) but so far no luck in finding out solution which is been almost a month now.

Any help/guidance/inputs with steps is much appreciated. As we are very new to this product and this issue got escalated to our management now. I work during IST working hours i.e. Monday - Friday 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM IST.

pastedImage_0.png

• Srikanth,

Do the credentials work through putty and other means?  Just checking to make sure the creds aren't locked out or enter incorrectly on SolarWinds.  Also, what version of SSH is specified in the ASA profile?  I would think it would be SSH2.  I would change the SSH auto to SSH2 or however it's configured just to test, perhaps the ASA is not allowing the SSH interrogation/negotiation.  Please let me know what works/doesn't work from here.

Bryan

• Bryan, let me add to this thread. We just upgraded to NPM 12.2 and NCM 7.7 last night.

I noticed this morning that I had several NCM jobs showing 'Running 0%' and I opened a ticket for support as I could not figure out the root cause.

While waiting, I also noticed that I was not able to SSH from Node Details to any device that usually worked. When I clicked on the SSH button it would bring up the SSH popup and prompted for login. I entered in the username and password (when prompted) but nothing happens - it just hangs. I then found that the SSH popup is not sending out any data (Wireshark shows no traffic from SSH).

I then tried to Putty from the Orion server to various devices and they all work so it seems to be something within the SSH integration in NPM or NCM.

• sotherls,

It sounds to me like perhaps all the services did not come back properly?  I would run the Configuration wizard for the services and the website, and see if that resolves the issue.  If that doesn't work, there is a troubleshooter you can use called SolarWinds Active Diagnostics.  Give that a run through and see if that comes up with any issues/solutions.

Bryan

• Bryan, I ran the CW but still the SSH function is still not working. I am going to go ahead and open a ticket on it.

• I went ahead and opened a support case on this. We will see what they say. (Sorry for hijacking this thread, I thought it was related)

• No worries, could have been related.  I recall their being a known issue with the jobs locking up if they are/were running during an update.  Something about restoring a file to stop the jobs, but I would have to do some digging to turn that up.  Support should have a quick fix for you though.

Bryan

• Hi Sotherls/Bryan,

First of all Thanks to Sotherls for recreating the issue and explaining everything in detail i.e. "

Bryan, let me add to this thread. We just upgraded to NPM 12.2 and NCM 7.7 last night.

I noticed this morning that I had several NCM jobs showing 'Running 0%' and I opened a ticket for support as I could not figure out the root cause.

While waiting, I also noticed that I was not able to SSH from Node Details to any device that usually worked. When I clicked on the SSH button it would bring up the SSH popup and prompted for login. I entered in the username and password (when prompted) but nothing happens - it just hangs. I then found that the SSH popup is not sending out any data (Wireshark shows no traffic from SSH).

I then tried to Putty from the Orion server to various devices and they all work so it seems to be something within the SSH integration in NPM or NCM."

I guess there is no need to give further details about the issue emoticons_happy.png .Sotherls was absolutely correct and whatever he experienced we are also experiencing the same behavior.

Apart from that "Bryan, I ran the CW but still the SSH function is still not working. I am going to go ahead and open a ticket on it."

I have already tried performing this step while installing the latest Hotfix but still there was no luck, even support engineer was also on the WebEx session while performing this activity.

Please let me know if you come out of any solution or fix for this issue. I will be awaiting for your response.

Thanks a lot to both of you once again.

Best Regards,

Srikanth

• Hi Sotherls/Bryan,

Any luck on finding out the solution for the reported issue ?

Thanks and Regards,

Srikanth