This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SCP/SFTP Server - specify upload path

Hi All,

I am trying to use the NCM SCP/SFTP server to backup our some of our Cisco appliances including CUCM and ACS.

I am using the default SFTP root of C:\SFTP_Root and within here I have created separate folders for each appliance. The issue I am having is that for both SCP and SFTP the server seems to strip out any path information on the upload. That is, all uploaded files no matter the path specified end up in the root (/).

I have done a packet capture and can confirm that the path is being sent by the client, it just seems that the server is stripping it off.

Downloading files works fine, I can download files using SCP and SFTP specifying the path, and this works correctly.

I couldnt find anything in the Forums or Google, is this a known issue?

I am running version 1.0.1.3 supplied with NCM 6.0

Thanks,
Aaron

• Hi Aaron,

This behavior seems errant to me. I'll ask dev to investigate. Stay tuned.

Doug

• Thanks Doug,
    I haven't logged a case yet, I was looking to see if it was a known issue or not. Would you like me to log a case?

Thanks,

Aaron 

• Aaron,

I think the tool is always going to write into the directory you define as root. You could define the path where you want the files as your root, if you want (File > Configure). Try writing the path directly into the Root Directory field, check Create Directory, and let the tool create the directory for you.

That should make your intended repository the same as your root.

If that doesn't work then, yes, open a ticket.

Thanks.

Doug

• Hi Doug,

Yes, as you suggest above, if I change the root, files will be stored in the new root.
    My issue is that I do not appear to be able to have a folder structure *within* the root, but only for uploaded files.

If I upload a file to /my_appliance_folder/backup.file, the tool writes the file to C:\TFTP_Root\backup.file
    If I download a file from /my_appliance_folder/backup.file, the tool retrieves the file from C:\TFTP_Root\my_appliance_folder\backup.file 

You seem to be suggesting that this is expected behavior. This would make sense to me if the tool stripped the path from a downloaded file as well, basically saying all files must be in the root, we don't support folders.

But as the tool supports paths on downloaded files, it looks like a full path is expected to work?
    Does this sound feasible, are you able to check with the dev's if this is the intended design? 

Thanks,
    Aaron 

• I had a customer before with the exact same issue.

The issue was to do with the version of the SFTP\SCP that came with either toolset or NCM

Customer uninstalled this version and downloaded the free tool from the website.

This resolved the issue in case anyone else has the issue, then this may help

but if you unsure please log a support ticket so we can get the specific details from you about versions and do some testing... emoticons_wink.png

Best Regards,

Harry Griffiths

Solarwinds Technical Support Representative

NPM, NCM, EOC, FOE and Mobile Admin Tech Support

EMEA - Mon - Fri - 10AM to 7PM GMT+1