Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 10

Router Config Backup

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I'm new to the NCM module and have a question concerning access to routers to backup configs , both running and startup. Management has decided they want all routers (even those managed by 3rd party) to be backed up but our 3rd party routers are obviously restricted in terms of access so i can not currently use any of our internal creds on them.

So what kind of access will i need to have (or request to have) to be able to complete the config backups? I have searched through the admin guide and so far have not found any clear instructions on minimum access needed for this. Will read only be able to pull the information i need? Is a script the best method?

Thanks in advance for helping this NCM novice!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Router Config Backup

Jump to solution

Ask the 3rd party to give you a read only account that allows you to show the running config. And get SNMP access as well so you can fully monitor it too.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Jump to solution

Read only is fine, but in cisco land running a restricted credential tends to only show you the parts of the configs that you are allowed to edit, so there is some cisco specific manipulations you have to do to make a read only account that can actually show a complete config

See this thread on their forum for discussion on different ways to make it happen.

Login: Read Only - Cisco Support Community

- Marc Netterfield, Github
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

Hi

I will say SSH to login and  SNMP to identify the elemen type if you use auto detect profile

/sja

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Ask the 3rd party to give you a read only account that allows you to show the running config. And get SNMP access as well so you can fully monitor it too.

View solution in original post