cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Recommendations

I have some recommendations for Cirrus.
  • When doing a refresh on the Node List, it would be a nice feature to have a Collapse All for the nodes. - All set
  • Using the Import Wizard, when selecting Nodes allow the ability to sort by column titles - Supposed to be working but I still can'f find it
  • Using the Import Wizard, have a check box that when checked hides all nodes that have already been imported.
  • Alphabetize the Password drop-down lists.
  • The ability to turn on/off the Auto-complete feature of the Password Lists.
  • The ability to keep the newest x configs.
Other than that...I love this tool.
0 Kudos
34 Replies
Level 12

Ok, so I just completed the survey of what I want to see in the new version of Cirrus, but left one thing out.

IN the node list you can set Cirrus to monitor Nodes, but the problem with that is when I enable it on 879 devices it takes a realy long time to do anything in Cirrus after its enabled. What I would like to see is the ablility to set up node monitoring on individual groups like (Cisco PIXFirewall 501). I would find this useful, as I have over 570 pix 501s in the field and when they show as down, its most likely because a site is closed. At that point I can delete the node and prevent it from having scheduled jobs running against it. I hope this makes since.
0 Kudos
Level 7

FYI - there is a fundamental flaw that we found with the installation of this add-on. Your SQL server account must be an SA account, able to create the DB tables. However, the cirrus application should not run day-to-day under an SA account. Here is what we had to do to get it working..

- we created an SQL user account, gave it SA rights for the install of Cirrus. Then backed it down just having ownership of the Cirrus DB. This should be sufficient for Cirrus to create more tables, etc within that DB, but not have any access outside of that DB on the SQL server, which is desired from a security perspective.

- in order to get this windows add on to work, we had to bump the db account back up to SA status, do an inventory on ONE node, this let's it create the tables in the DB that are needed. Then we backed the db account down to only ownership rights to the Cirrus DB again.

- From that point on, we were able to inventory other windows boxes fine, now that the tables had been created.

Seems like the way that Cirrus connects to the DB is requiring full SA access, which shouldn't be the case. It should only need to connect to the DB required, of which it should have complete ownership (R/W) of the DB. This should be sufficient to write tables, etc that it needs to do.

This is the way Orion works to my knowledge and is correct. During the Orion install, you are prompted for a SA account (used to create the DB and tables, etc), THEN you are prompted for a DB access account (used for the application to access the DB), that can manage only that DB, no the entire server. Cirrus never prompted for that and thus I think some stuff related to SQL security was left out.

Seems like the Cirrus Dev group needs to incorp. some of the configuration/security features of Orion into the product...

I've got more suggestions/findings I'll post later in the forums...

Chad

quote:Originally posted by RyanJett

Jon,

After installing the Windows Server Inventory Add-on, you should see three new .ConfigMgmtInventory files in the \SolarWinds\Configuration Management\Inventory folder:

50-Windows-Services.ConfigMgmtInventory
51-Windows-Software.ConfigMgmtInventory
52-Windows-Accounts.ConfigMgmtInventory

If you do not see these files, reinstall the add-on package.

If these files do exist, restart Cirrus and then select Inventory Settings from the Inventory menu. You should see a list of Inventory options including the default groups "Standard" and "Cisco". In addition to those groups, there should be a new group called "Windows" with three Inventory options to choose from.

If you still do not see these Inventory options, did you install Cirrus in the default location? And if not, did you install the add-on to the same \SolarWinds folder that Cirrus was installed to? The fastest way to check would be to do a search for folders named "SolarWinds". If you see more than one instance, this is likely the cause of the problem.

If none of this resolves your issue, feel free to email me at ryan.jett@solarwinds.net

Ryan Jett
SolarWinds.Net
918-307-8100
0 Kudos
Level 7

Believe it or not, I would like to see Solarwinds include an honest to goodness local Help file with the install of ALL their products rather than relying on a Web based help format.

0 Kudos
Level 9

I'd really like the possibility to have more flexibilty in grouping functionality. More levels and ability to create temp groups would be highly appreciated. Also query based dynamic groups would be nice

heZ
0 Kudos
Level 12

Any news on saving the results of a scheduled job to a text file?
0 Kudos
Level 12

Greg/Solawinds....any update on some of the suggestions we have made here and when they will be part of a release. I had :

1. Need the ability to have a fallback mode of accessing a device. Like have SSH 1st and if that doesn't work then try telnet.
2. In the "view selected job's log" to show the most recent information at the top of the log, not at the bottom
3. In the config change report - need the option to just compare to the latest config not the "baseline" config
4. It would be nice to run a full inventory each night and some sort or partial one every few hours. A partial one could inclucde arp/route tables/up down status.

What I'm looking for is the similar functionality as Ciscoworks where you can schedule major and minor acquisitions. Again maybe have a minor acquisition every 4 hours to get updated arp/route infor used for the find address and then a major acquisition once day to get full stats.

Thanks,

BB
0 Kudos
Level 8

On the installed software inventory the version of an installed software package is being shown as 1.2 when it should be 1.20.2.2 is there a way to have Cirrus show the full version?

Thanks Tim
0 Kudos
Level 13

Ryan

Got it working, thanks for the info.

I've now run the inventory on a couple of our servers and routers, but when I come to view the services, installed apps, accounts and routing tables nothing shows up in the inventory even though it shows it going through the motions on the inventory screen.

Our servers are Windows 2003 SP1 and routers are 2600's.

Jon
0 Kudos
Level 10

Jon,

After installing the Windows Server Inventory Add-on, you should see three new .ConfigMgmtInventory files in the \SolarWinds\Configuration Management\Inventory folder:

50-Windows-Services.ConfigMgmtInventory
51-Windows-Software.ConfigMgmtInventory
52-Windows-Accounts.ConfigMgmtInventory

If you do not see these files, reinstall the add-on package.

If these files do exist, restart Cirrus and then select Inventory Settings from the Inventory menu. You should see a list of Inventory options including the default groups "Standard" and "Cisco". In addition to those groups, there should be a new group called "Windows" with three Inventory options to choose from.

If you still do not see these Inventory options, did you install Cirrus in the default location? And if not, did you install the add-on to the same \SolarWinds folder that Cirrus was installed to? The fastest way to check would be to do a search for folders named "SolarWinds". If you see more than one instance, this is likely the cause of the problem.

If none of this resolves your issue, feel free to email me at ryan.jett@solarwinds.net

Ryan Jett
SolarWinds.Net
918-307-8100
0 Kudos
Level 13

Ryan

Thanks for that managed to download them now. They don't seem to work though, nothing new is shown in the inventory settings, there are two install log files in the Config management installs folder so I assume they installed OK.

Any ideas?

Jon
0 Kudos
Level 10

Jon,

We found an issue with the Cirrus maintenance accounts and have resolved it. You should now be able to see the additional components. If you cannot, you may want to refresh your browser, or maybe even clear your browser cache. If you still cannot see these downloads, email support@solarwinds.net to get this resolved.

Ryan Jett
SolarWinds.Net
918-307-8100
0 Kudos
Level 14

Bryan,

I agree on the fallback, would be a great feature. I will try to get that in one of the upcoming releases.

Thanks,
Greg
0 Kudos
Level 14

All,

In order to download the additional components, you must be a licensed Cirrus customer with maintenance.

Try this link:
http://support.solarwinds.net/support/Unsupported.cfm?Option=Cirrus

HTH,
Greg
0 Kudos
Level 13

I've just looked in the additional components for Cirrus and there is nothing there.

Jon
0 Kudos
Level 10

quote:Originally posted by trm33

When will the Windows Inventory package be available?

Both Inventory add-ons are available in the Customer Area of the SolarWinds website. Once logged in, click "Additional Components" and then click "Additional Components for Cirrus" to download the Inventory packs.

Ryan Jett
SolarWinds.Net
918-307-8100
0 Kudos
Level 8

When will the Windows Inventory package be available?
0 Kudos
Level 12

Got another one :

Need the ability to have a fallback mode of accessing a device. Like have SSH 1st and if that doesn't work then try telnet.

BB
0 Kudos
Level 9

The IP Route Table Inventory package should be available in the Cirrus Customer Area in a couple days.

A Windows Inventory package will also be available. The Windows Inventory package will collect Installed Software Packages, Services, and Windows Accounts from Windows servers and workstations. The Windows Installed Software inventory works with Juniper routers also. It collects the list of installed packages on Juniper devices.

Reports and Inventory views are included in these packages.

These are both free add-ons to Cirrus customers with maintenance.

0 Kudos
Level 12

quote:Originally posted by Don Yonce

Bryan,
The device inventory can be extended easily. Cirrus is using the Sonar Inventory Engine that previously was only available to OEM partners. It can be extended to included other device details and other Vendor specific information.

I'll build you an example inventory add-on to collect the Route Table

Which one do you want ?
IP-FORWARD-MIB:ipCidrRouteTable
IP-FORWARD-MIB:ipForwardTable
RFC1158-MIB:ipRoutingTable

You probably want IP-FORWARD-MIB:ipCidrRouteTable

Whichever gives me the same output of a show ip route from the Cisco CLI.

BB
0 Kudos
Level 9

Bryan,
The device inventory can be extended easily. Cirrus is using the Sonar Inventory Engine that previously was only available to OEM partners. It can be extended to included other device details and other Vendor specific information.

I'll build you an example inventory add-on to collect the Route Table

Which one do you want ?
IP-FORWARD-MIB:ipCidrRouteTable
IP-FORWARD-MIB:ipForwardTable
RFC1158-MIB:ipRoutingTable

You probably want IP-FORWARD-MIB:ipCidrRouteTable
0 Kudos