cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

New to NCM

Jump to solution

Hello

We just installed NCM, and Netflow. Right now I am mainly trying to get familiar with NCM so I can utilize it to make my life easier. I am a Jr Network Admin for an Enterprise atmosphere. Its a large oil refinery. Lots of switches out in the field. I would like to get it set up so that I do a lot from Solarwinds and have some scripts set up to just be able to execute..Here is a list of the things I want to be able to use it for. Hopefully I can get it all set up little by little.

To be able to execute commands from Solarwinds for basic troubleshooting, Vlan adds, changes, show log, show run, sh int status, etc

Set it up to detect various vulnerabilities

Notify me of end of life devices

Push firmware upgrades right from Solarwinds

maybe reload commands,

Is there a way to just import all my devices into NCM that are already being monitored in Solarwinds.

I plan on taking some of the online classes but for starters I would like to get everything set up to do the commands and services I use daily.

Maybe i can get input from anyone who has already set this up and are using it?

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

robert.scarborough  wrote:

Is there a way to just import all my devices into NCM that are already being monitored in Solarwinds.

Yup. Go to Settings, Manage Nodes and group by NCM - Licensed.

pastedImage_2.png

Then select the ones you wish to add, click on the More Actions option and select Add nodes to NCM.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

If you have any questions please feel free to drop me a line. 

CorutesyIT

Thanks again. Have a class scheduled on the 22nd

0 Kudos

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate all of your help

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here is a good collection to get started with: How to do various customizations with your Solarwinds

Thanks so much. So much info here,

0 Kudos

robert.scarborough  wrote:

Yup. Go to Settings, Manage Nodes and group by NCM - Licensed.

pastedImage_2.png

Then select the ones you wish to add, click on the More Actions option and select Add nodes to NCM.

View solution in original post

Oh ok thanks so much Superfly. we are in the process of upgrading them to TACACS so I may wait til I finish that and then do it.

0 Kudos

You will want an account for Orion on TACACS / RADIUS to do SSH or telnet to the devices.

0 Kudos

Hmm ok, is that something I will have to have them to add into Solarwinds or can I set that up myself?

0 Kudos

The TACACS or Radius Admin can set that up, then you add that account info to the device profiles to use to connect just like when you use your own creds to access a router or switch. The account will need to take you to enable mode to execute startup and running config dumps.

Level 12

robert.scarborough

THWACK has a lot of great content already posted and if you look up the devices or scripts you want to run, chances are someone has already posted about.

On a different note, I would like to be in touch with you throughout your journey with NCM to hear your feedback and hear your thoughts on the product.

Sounds good and thanks so much. Im also trying to get Netflow going too. I think my boss want to get that going to so we can maybe see whose utilizing high bandwidth. Just want to be able to narrow things down.

0 Kudos

Great I will reach out to you on email and we can schedule some time.

Do you already have NetFlow enabled on your network devices? I am sure my fellow PM for NTA would also be interested in feedback as you see the data and get some usage into the product.

0 Kudos

Hows everything going. Been super busy at work. I actually have a NCM class scheduled on 5/22. I was able to import all of the devices into NCM. Now I need to get it set up so that I can execute scripts to the devices or configs. For example I am working on adding TACACS to all our Cisco devices. I have some done already but I want to see if I can do the rest from NCM. Maybe execute a command that can do a big amount or something like that. I tried to run the "Execute" command from NCM to one of the devices I selected just to see how things go but I got a messege saying "connection refused". Looks like I have to maybe set up log in stuff. Most of the switches have SSH on them So I guess i may have to do through each one and set them up with the right credentials so that I will be able to send scripts to them? Just wondering. Eventually I want to be able to do as much as possible from Solarwinds. Just wanted to know your thoughts.

0 Kudos

Are you able to download the configs off the same devices that give the "connection refused" for the script? Were you able to SSH and execute the command?

0 Kudos