Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 16

NCM for non Cisco shop

Jump to solution

Hi

If there are pepole that have 0 cisco routers/switches and use NCM and why ?

I asking because it's look very cisco centric to me.

/SJA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

I'll let Flo confirm, of course, but once you are able to download config from a device, then it's almost sure you can e.g. execute a script. Bulk changes shouldn't be a problem.

Software change / firmware upgrade is a very complex operation. For most devices, you can write your own NCM script or use thwack content. A more robust, user-friendly version of this feature is something we are looking at for future releases.

Jiri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Level 11

We have very few Cisco devices, but I use NCM quite happily with Nortel/Avaya equipment.

In some cases you have to manually create (or edit existing) device templates to suit.

Level 18

Hi sja,

I don't know whether any customer of ours has 0 Cisco devices, but I know for sure that some customers have majority of non-Cisco equipment. Typical examples are Juniper, Brocade, F5 (as suggested by Flo), Dell/Force10, HP, etc. Generally, any device with CLI and text configs should work with NCM.

Regards,

Jiri

0 Kudos

Hi Jiri

Thanks for getting back.

Do you know of any big non cisco environment that use NCM for clearing up old perl scripts consolidating to NCM?

0 Kudos

What exactly do you mean by "clearing up old perl scripts consolidating to NCM"? Could you please share more details about the use case?

Thanks,

Jiri

0 Kudos

ohh centralizing with NCM

We have that Shrubbery Networks, Inc. - RANCID for Juniper core =server 1

Tftp server and backup to other switches ( around 1000 nodes) =server2

Alcatel lucent  equipment run thier own = server3

I quite sure that we can utilize NCM and drop server 1&2.

Just hope to see more much more vendor examples in thwack.

0 Kudos

Ok, I believe using NCM instead of server 1 and 2 should be easy.

Regarding Alcatel Lucent -- these should also work although I know there are a few models that have quite unusual CLI flows (e.g. prompt changes) and there were some problems with them. On the other hand, we have implemented a few enhancements recently that give NCM more flexibility in prompt detection and processing, so these issues may be fixed as well.

Jiri

0 Kudos
Level 10

Cisco is unfortunately or fortunately the most common network device vendor or not?

I manage my brocade and F5 devices in NCM also!

kind regards,

Flo

Hi flo

do you run any advance operation with your non cisco  like any bulk operation

Software change to many devices ?

config change bulk?

0 Kudos

I'll let Flo confirm, of course, but once you are able to download config from a device, then it's almost sure you can e.g. execute a script. Bulk changes shouldn't be a problem.

Software change / firmware upgrade is a very complex operation. For most devices, you can write your own NCM script or use thwack content. A more robust, user-friendly version of this feature is something we are looking at for future releases.

Jiri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

What is so complex with upgrade ?

1.ask the router to download software from tftp /ftp server script 1

2.ask the router to add the new software script 2

3.ask the router to reboot  script 3

4.ask the router to tell you what version it's running

but sometime something can stop working ...

0 Kudos

The last point is a kind of important .

You need to verify free disk space. If not enough, inform user / delete old image.

If you want to perform the upgrades in bulk, NCM should follow network topology no to shoot itself/you in the foot.

Etc.

Jiri

0 Kudos