cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

NCM for Cisco Inventory Collection

Forgive me if this has been discussed to death, but I am new to solarwinds as a whole, so I need some guidance.  I have been tasked with creating a complete inventory of all of our networking equipment and asked to use our solarwinds/NCM installation to do it.

I have been doing some research into how to compile this inventory, and I would like to ask if the method I am using is the best path to take.  I have done an "Update Inventory" to make sure I have the latest information.  At this point I have been looking into which report to run to get the inventory.  I have used the "Device List" report to get a readout of just the devices and the number of each device.  I then went to compile a list of all individual devices and their serial numbers.  The best report I found to use is "Physical Entities (Serial Number) v2".  It gives me the serial numbers for the various devices, but it's at this point that I think I have hit a snag.  I need the serial number of each module and blade also, and I think this search does this, but I'm not sure.  Is this report the best one to use to perform this inventory compilation, or is there a more comprehensive report now?  It would be nice if the various stacked devices were labeled as such, and if the modules were labeled as to which device they belong.

Can anyone point me in the direction of something more detailed, or that arranges the information better?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted

Re: NCM for Cisco Inventory Collection

The piece of information that you're looking for to get switch stack data is definitely in the system but I don't recall if any of the out of the box reports display it. You may find that you have to just create your own report where is the object of the report is a switch stack. Next time I'm at a computer I can take a look and see if there is any decent starting point in the out-of-the-box reports.

- Marc Netterfield, Github
Highlighted
Level 16

Hi noki42

In many times snmp inventory is not good enough..

If you can get the inventory output with cli commands use backup job.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/112401

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello.

2 ideas. Configure your switch blades to be part of the switch stack: Monitor Cisco SwitchStack

Try the reports you see on your device for inventory like https://oriondemo.solarwinds.com/Orion/NCM/ReportResult.aspx?Id=ciscospecificdetails&Title=Cisco%20S...

pastedImage_2.png

Best regards,

Steffen

Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'll look into your suggestions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

After comparing my list that we gathered using these methods, it came out that a lot of devices were missed.  Most of our line cards, chassis's, stack switches and a few of our nexus devices were not gathered during the inventory update.  Can anyone think of any reasons that devices might have been missed?  And in about half the cases, if it got the switch stack, it didn't get all the switches.  I'm at a loss as to why so many devices were missed and would love any help I can get to figure out why.  Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Check whether those devices are being managed by NCM. A good way of doing that is via "Settings - Manage Nodes"
pastedImage_0.png

Then check out your "Jobs" to see how they are configured. Do they run once a day/week? Do they run on all nodes?

In case it's still till not working, make sure the device credentials are correct.

Best regards,

Steffen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks, it's something to look at.  I'm pretty sure they're all managed, but I'll look at it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Hi noki42

Would you please tell me, did you got your required complete details of the inventory,

Because I am also facing same issue "Missing Inventory". a lot of modules and all the ports are missing.

I will be very thankful to you for your kind response.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Unfortunately I was reassigned by my manager before this inventory was completed.  I can contact the person who finished this and if he has anything to add that may be of help to you I'll post it.