This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM configs arhive check for config change.

Hi.

We want to rearrange our archive of configs from devices. For this we want to keep only configs with changes. For example config is copied from device every day, but on device this config was not changed for weeks. So in our archive we want to keep only configs from dates when were made changes in config. For new configs I can see this option in NCM Download Configs from Devices job. But for configs already in archive I can not see this option.

Maybe someone already had same problem and can share his solution via Solarwinds NCM native instrument or maybe by some custom scripts.

Thanks in advance for your advices.

• By default this is the behavior for NCM, to only save configs with changes.   Maybe you should look at RTCD?  (Real-time Change Detection)

• I don't understand why people download configs every single day when you can use RTCD. I only download configs from device on a weekly basis. As part of that I also do a compare so that I can check if people are saving the running config to the startup config. The rest of the time I have RTCD running so that when someone makes a change, it backs up the running config.

I then purge configs older than 6 months once a week.

• Yes, for new configs I already activated option to only save configs with changes and ignore ones with no changes. But why it was not made by a person, who managed NCM before me, is a big mystery)  So at the moment we have a lot of old configs.  It is so tempting to delete all this old configs, but our company politics dont allow it. That why I need a method just to delete identical ones.

• "As part of that I also do a compare so that I can check if people are saving the running config to the startup config."  -

Are you comparing downloaded running and startup configs? Do you make it manually by compare configs option on NCM?

Because in our network in a week can be made a lot of changes on different devices and it will take a lot of time to check configs like this.

• Oh, I get it, you want to remove duplicate >existing< files in your archive.   I think any duplicate file finder will aid in that.

Maybe something here?  duplicate text finder free download - SourceForge

Personally, I'd just move all the files currently in this directory into another one and zip it up into one huge file.  Once company policy permits removing them, that file would go away.   Zip compresses text quite a bit, esp. if there is a lot of duplicate text, which in this case there would be.   Sometimes its just too much effort to try and do anything but the easiest approach.

• Also let be real... text files like this don't take up much space in the grand scheme of things... even if you have 10,000 devices.  I'm sure they compress great too... so like Craig said why not just gzip2 the whole lot of them and keep somewhere safe???

• There's a tick box that you can select as part of the config download job so check the downloaded config to the last config that was downloaded. It then sends me an email which shows which configs don't match.

I first download all the startup configs. 1 hour later I download all the running configs and as part of that job I get it to compare that download to Startup config (which I downloaded 1 hour earlier). If they don't match, then the config has not been written off.

Capture.JPG

• Hi guys,

1. I use RTCD to notify the entire networking group so they can verify and move quickly if something is amiss.

2. I should run a comparison to find if any changes have not been saved.

3. We want backups of any changes for over a year and I don't want umpteen many files. Yea they are not that big. Yea I can zip. But I want to know what this is not working as I expect it to.

I have been using the "only save configs that have changed" for about a month or so now. Checking my backup files, it is saving a new copy every time, even when they are exactly the same.

pastedImage_0.png

Is there something that I am missing here?

Thanks!

• Sounds like maybe you busted them on the saving only changed configs?

• are you saying the function is broken? do I need to get out the pitchforks?