cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

NCM causing SSH errors when downloading configs?

Hello

We have a job setup within NCM to download all the switch configs at 2am each morning.

Whilst this works great, we are seeing consistent errors in the switch log at the same time the configs download (between 2am and 3am).

The errors are:

May 16 02:12:49.166 BST: %SSH-4-SSH2_UNEXPECTED_MSG: Unexpected message type has arrived. Terminating the connection

It seems as if NCM is not terminating the SSH connection after downloading the configs and the message above is once the timeout value is reached.

Anyone had this issue before?

Cheers

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 8

I added feature request http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/1264 for a clean disconnect option.  Go throw on a vote.

Thanks, I've opened it for voting.

Jiri

0 Kudos
Level 18

Hi,

when you download the config manually, do you get the same error?

Regards,

Jiri

0 Kudos

Hi

No the errors do not appear if we do a manual download so seems to be related to the automatic scheduled ones.

It also doesnt happen every day, the odd few days complete without errors in the switch log.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi

Ever since we went from Telnet to SSH on NCM, some of our Cisco switches (especially those running v12.44 SE1 ) eventually run of memory and crash due to SSH sessions not disconnecting properly (memory chart looks like a memory leak, but crash file says ssh service is to blame).

Cisco says it's due to ssh clients not disconnecting properly and a fix is to upgrade the ios (sure enough, went to SE6 and problem went away).

So i'm not sure if Solarwinds NCM can do better job of disconnecting sessions to avoid having to upgrade all my switches ?.... or whether Cisco is to blame with certain bad versions of ios.

Dave

0 Kudos

It's possible NCM could handle it better (I don't know all the details) but on the other hand, a reasonable device should not get injured by something as trivial as SSH client disconnecting improperly.

Jiri

0 Kudos

I would agree, but when you want to connect to devices many times over - like every hour, or even every half hour, having a message get logged gets very old very quickly.

Luckily, I don't see a memory leak in my devices, otherwise this could be catastrophic.

0 Kudos