This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM Inventory ARP report in NPM

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi all

I have installed NCM 6.1 and applied the integration module between NCM and NPM and you have the ability to run NCM type reports from the web interface of NPM.

The one report that I am looking at is the ARP table report and there are a number of search filters available to the user, but the MAC address serach filter is missing, does anyone know why this has been omitted as this report could have 100's of pages and I dont want to scroll through them all just to find one MAC, it would be great to have the option to filter by MAC addess as a search option, can this be added by editing a file maybe ?

Thanks

James

• You will probably find that this does not give you the required information you need.

I raised Case: 222341, and have never received a satisfactory answer from SW. They will provide no support for “their alternative solution” a work around which I have been unable to implement with any success.

Message History
            -----Original Message-----
            Sent: Friday , February 18, 2011 03:02 pm GMT (GMT+00:00)
            Subject: Engineers Toolset

The report that you are attempting to generate(displaying which
    MAC addresses are connected to which ports) is currently not possible in
    Orion NPM as this is not something Orion polls for by default.

The alternative solution as we discussed is to use the
    Switch
    Port Mapper utility to gather this information.

The Switch Port mapper utility can be ran from the command line,
    therefore it is possible to setup a Windows Schedule task to gather this
    information at specific intervals.

Please see our community site, thwack.com, on which a customer
    has post a solution. The script will allow you to run the switch port
    mapper using the windows scheduled task and export the information
    gathered. This information can then be displayed on the Orion web
    console.

Please see here for more information :

thwack.com/.../orion-custom-views-orion-no
    deinterface-views/114951/switch-port-mapper-orion-integration/
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Ian_Levick

Hi

Well it would seem that the latest version of NCM does collect this info via the ARP cache and then does a DNS resolve on the Clinet IP addess as I have this data and can run a report, but the serach options do not allow you to filter by MAC address

James

• We are running on SolarWinds Orion Core 2011.1.0, NCM 6.1, NPM 10.1.2, NTA 3.7. My ticket was for :

"Workspace Studio MAC finder Gadget. This displays all the layer 2 MAC's on
    every switch port.
    We would like to display the same MAC info via Orion.
    Which MIB does this poll? as I would like to have NPM/NCM poll
    the same MIB to collect the layer 2 MAC's on the interfaces of
    the network switches."

What is different with the setup of your system?

As I have been told we cannot gather this information via Orion/NCM via SW Tech support.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Ian_Levick

Hi Ian

This report is an ARP report, so it is extracting the data from the ARP cache of the devices and then doing a lookup on the IP address, so it is not a switch port to MAC address report. That would be ideal but its something I have not looked into at the moment.

Kind Regards

James

• If you are able to get any further with the Switch port to MAC address report, then please let me know, I am very interested in being able to achieve this if it is at all possible with this product as I have found the ARP report in NCM to be pretty much useless to us as it only enters the details of two devices.
  • In the NCM 6.1 Server Application (not the web interface) you can create a report that will show you the MAC of each interface.

Reports>New Report

On the Select Fields tab set the type of report to "Interfaces." Go to the "All Properties Box" and scroll down to the "Interfaces" section. Add the "Interface Name" and "MAC Address Properties.