This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM Criteria Comparison - Leading Characters

Working with a set of Dell 6248 switches.  The config comparison in NCM shows all lines different because of leading characters.  How would ignore these leading characters?

Startup on Left has a number and then a space and then a colon

Running on Right does not

1 : !Current Configuration:                                                                                                 
  !Current Configuration:
2 : !System Description "PowerConnect 6248P, 3.3.2.3, VxWorks 6.5"                                                          
  !System Description "PowerConnect 6248P, 3.3.2.3, VxWorks 6.5"
3 : !System Software Version 3.3.2.3                                                                                        
  !System Software Version 3.3.2.3
4 : !Cut-through mode is configured as disabled                                                                             
  !Cut-through mode is configured as disabled
5 : !                                                                                                                       
  !
6 : configure                                                                                                               
  configure
  • I don't have a similar config set to work with, but you may be able to add the bellow to your comparison criteria (in NCM settings). You will need to be careful if any of your real configs have lines that start with that same pattern.

^\d+\s:\s

• You might try adding the unwanted colon into the Comparison Criteria's "Ignore" section and testing it a few different ways.

In the early versions we were required to enter a caret in front of any character to be ignored as this:

^:

You can also try various flavors of it, without the caret, with an asterisk before or after it, and confirming this does NOT impact your comparison reports negatively.

To do this, go to Admin > Settings > NCM Settings

Click on Comparison Critera

Click Add New

Then build your ignore statement.  Remember to give it an intuitive name and add in some completely helpful Comments for future users wondering why your ignore statement is present, and what your goal was when it was created.

pastedImage_1.png

• The entire config is this way. This was just a sample to share.

• That would match the number, space, colon, space. I was just concerned that you may have some config text (excluding the starting portion that might possibly match that regex). I don't think it will, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Matches:

1 : configtexthere

2 : configtexthere

999 : configtexthere

999999 : configtexthere

...etc

• Thanks

I gave it try and it didn’t help in this case.

Please note: Effective August 31, 2016, my email address has changed to bob.scherer@washingtonprime.com

BOB SCHERER

bob.scherer@washingtonprime.com

Manager, Network Administration

• Did you try to re-download the configs after making the change and did you verify it was enabled? I have noticed that NCM doesn't like to recompute some of that information outside of a config download job. You could also try a variation of the above regex as seen below. It is a bit more relaxed.

^\d+\s?\:\s?

• Thanks again,

Downloaded again and tried this one and a couple variations of the syntax and it still didn’t work.

Please note: Effective August 31, 2016, my email address has changed to bob.scherer@washingtonprime.com

BOB SCHERER

bob.scherer@washingtonprime.com

Manager, Network Administration