This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM 5.1 Installation Issues

I'm running into an issue installing 5.1 when it is checking files in use before installation.  It is stopping because it says common operating system files are running.  There is, of course, no way to stop these files from running so I need to know what may be causing this to stop or a workaround to get this product installed as it is supposed to be fixing other issues that I'm having with NCM.  I have attached a screen shot for review.

--Jordan

• This is the first time we've seen this issue come up.  Please open a ticket with support (and include reference to this post) so we can work with you to diagnose.  

• I just ran into this issue myself.  I was able to resolve it by double checking to see if anyone else was logged into the server at the same time I was.  It turned out my co-worker was remotely logged in.  It caused the error you have.  Just log everyone out of the server and rerun the upgrade.  It should work just fine.

• Amy,

Thanks for the input but that did not work for me.  Hopefully it will work for others who encounter the issue though.  Just one additional thing that I forgot to mention before, is that this instance is running in VMware ESX 3.5.  I wonder if not having a "true" console might be part of the issue.  Well, thanks again!

--Jordan

• Just a follow up for any who are interested...

It turns out that the issue was occurring due to a missing registry entry.  The missing key(s) were "HKLM\Software\SolarWinds.net\Configuration Management" along with the subkey "HKLM\Software\SolarWinds.net\Configuration Management\Settings". 

If these keys don't exist with the appropriate string entries in them, the installation will fail on the "Checking Open Files..." stage. (See screen shot above.)

The strings that should exist (with appropriate values) are:

"HKLM\Software\SolarWinds.net\Configuration Management\CurrentVersion"

"HKLM\Software\SolarWinds.net\Configuration Management\InstallDirectory"

Feel free to respond to this thread with any questions if you are having the same problem.  I will try to help.

--Jordan

• Encounter the similar problem.  However did not get to above screen.  Install program just hangs and seem like it's not doing anything.  check registry, and it's missing the two key mention above.  Is there a way to create these keys?  If so what would be the appropriate vales?