This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

More Accurate Error Reporting

FormerMember
FormerMember

Is it possible to get more accurate error reporting from NCM?

Here is a common message:

The "Connection  Refused"  error is vague and inaccurate.  In this specific case, the device was powered off.  How about error messages like "Device Unreachable", "Login Failed", or "Insufficient Rights"?  Knowing were the failure takes place in the process would be helpful when we have to troubleshoot problems.

Rick

• Orion NPM can tell you if your node was unavailable during the time NCM was scheduled to download configs.

NCM has logs that show the exact interaction information for every device.  You can review these logs and see the exact response the device gave, or didn't give, to NCM.

If you manually duplicate the process NCM used (ssh or telnet or tftp, etc.) using the same user name & password during a CLI session, I think you'll see all the info you need to further troubleshoot the problem.

For what it's worth, Orion Support, while not always very fast, does a great job troubleshooting issues like yours if you open a case and send them the log files.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to rschroeder

If the information is there, then it shold be an easy matter for it to be correctly displayed.  I don't see the point in providing inaccurate information and then making you go dig through logs or repeat the process manually to find the correct reason.

This tool is supposed to make my job easier and save time, not provide bogus data and consume limited time.

This is an opportunity for SolarWinds to improve the quality of the software to make it more useful.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

It's been a full year and we've seen several NCM releases.  Unfortunately, we are still having to troubleshoot these failures manually.  You've managed to get a new licensing scheme into the software to maximize your revenue stream.  How about something to help us maximize our time, the people who generate that stream?

• Your comment is fair, rickg, about the troubleshooting (not sure about the one related to the "licensing scheme to maximize revenue stream).

We have captured your input in a requirement (127476), and there might be some small improvements that we could make in future release(s), to improve troubleshooting.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to fcaron

I come for a software development background and we never changed our licensing technology unless there was a financial reason to do so. Typically, people were getting support without paying their fees, fell through the cracks, or were being incorrectly billed to their benefit.

My point is that if you can integrate a new licensing technology, why can’t we get a few modifications the don’t require collecting more information, just changing what is reported to that what is correct.

I requested change last year in NPM that provides for more accurate reporting, not new data collection. That has not be acted upon either. SolarWinds used to be very responsive to customers. Now that you’ve grown and purchased more companies and products, I feel that network monitoring has been pushed to the back burner in favor of the new glamorous acquisitions.

Rick Godin

SW6206

SW2149002

SW32762