This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Migrating solar winds NCM database and application server to new server with different IP

Hello Guys,

Just need your help to get best idea to implement below changes:

We have NCM 7.5 running on 2012 R2 machine and database also on SQL 2012. We have both application and database separately and have only NCM module in our environment.

we are planning to build new server with separate IP , 2016 OS and want our database also on the same server. All these changes are needed because we are upgrading NCM instance  to new version which does not support old windows OS and database..

I just want to get an idea how to do all such changes with best approach. As there are lots of changes like server IP, database also on the same server and OS version also going to change.

Please help me to get the best idea...

• Hi rohit.rana so this would be a server migration as per the SolarWinds Success Center:

Migrate SolarWinds Orion products to a new server with a new IP and hostname - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Suppo…

Personally I would consider trying to keep the IP Address, as changing the IP Address may require changes to ACL's or security rules on the devices you are managing within NCM. (Unless you use NCM to do that in advance emoticons_wink.png )

SolarWinds do recommend having the SQL Server on its own dedicated server, but depending on the size of your environment it might be Ok.

NCM 7.9 system requirements - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

• Thanks David, Just need one more clarification on database migration. we want our database on the same server that is on the application server. but currently both database and application server are on different IP. I don't know how to restore that data and how to make new database instance on same server?

• Hi Rohit, So again I need to clarify that moving your SQL Database onto the same server as the SolarWinds application isn't advised and SolarWinds don't recommend it. However... In order to achieve what you require you would need to do the following:

For reference, we will use Existing Application Server = SRV1 / Existing SQL Server = SRV2 / New Combined Server = SRV3

1) Install SQL Server (& SQL Server Management Studio) onto SRV3.

2) Backup Orion database from SRV2 and copy it to SRV3.

3) Restore the Database into SQL Studio on SRV3.

- At this point, your Database is now on the new server

4) Using SSMS run the Script from Step 8 of the migration instructions I linked above. This will change any reference of SRV1 to SRV3 Hostname.

5) Install Application onto SRV3 - Run Configuration Wizard. In Configuration Wizard, use SRV3 details in the database section. This will attach to your database and update it to the latest version of the schema.

Hope this helps. Obviously, I still recommend reading through the upgrade & migration guide first. But in terms of moving your SQL Database, it is just a case of backing up the DB on your old box, and copying it to the new one, then running a restore.

• Thanks David for clarification. Sorry But I am doing this first time so many questions pop up in my  mind. I have doubt regarding below query.

While migrating the database and restoring that database on new server we need current SA admin account running to perform this activity. But after all this when we run the configuration wizard and it is asking for existing database or new database what we need to select. If I am selecting existing database that means I have to use old SA admin credentials, correct me If I am wrong. But my doubt is if we have new server then we need new SA credentials to create the database, in that case how to link old database.   

Or

simple question If my DB restored on new server then while running wizard which Database we need to select old or new? If old then we don’t need any new credentials and just have to put old database credentials. Is it correct?