This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

MAC Finder

I am running the trial version of Cirrus and I am having trouble with the Mac finder. I have a feeling that I am just missing something simple or at least I think I am.
Generally, we use Cisco 3548 switches and when I try to find a Mac that I know for a fact exists on one of the nodes that I have defined, it comes back with the IP addr and the Name of the device and that's it. I am expecting that it should report the switch and port number that it is plugged into. If I select "View Selected Node" it brings up the router that the arp entry would belong to, nothing about the switch that it is plugged into. Any thoughts?
  • I agree that the show hostname/ip/mac address functions would be most useful if they reported the switch/port the device was plugged into.

Even better if it is a menu option on the web site when Cirrus & Orion integrate.
  • From the description Of Mac Address Finder under Cirrus Management Features found on Solarwinds.net

"Use the MAC Finder to locate the switch port a device is plugged into."

Does this not work?

• The MAC Finder will find the switch port a device is plugged into if the switch is included in list of Nodes AND you have run a complete inventory on that switch.
  • I'm having the same issue. I do have the switch inventory working but I'm unable to have Cirrus tell me that that IP X is on device Y port Z.

BB
  • The switch (Cisco 3548) is in the list of Nodes that I have defined and I have updated the inventory at least 3 times today....

When I search for a MAC (that I know exists on the defined node) it comes back with the IP and it resolves the name. If I right click on the MAC and select "view selected node" it comes up with the router (cisco 3620) that the ARP entry for the device I am searching for exists on....nothing about the switch or the port it is plugged into.

Am I missing something??
  • Can I see your Cirrus database ?
    Zip and forward to Development@SolarWinds.Net if possible.
    (You can delete all the configs first if you like)
  • I sent a copy of my database on the 15th. I just want to make sure that it was received as I haven't heard anything back as of yet. Just want to make sure that email from SolarWinds isn't being blocked at my end for some reason, so if you could let me know that it was received that would be great! Thanks.
  • We didn't receive your database. Please drop me a note at josh@solarwinds.net and I'll set you up with an FTP location to upload the file to.
  • All,

I believe all issues with MAC Finder have been addressed.

A couple things to remember about using MAC Finder:

MAC Finder uses data discovered during the inventory process, specifically the ARP Tables, Bridge, and Interface MIB tables. Make sure that these items are selected in your inventory settings.

The MAC Finder will show you ALL the devices that the target device is downstream from, as well as the port/interface on each device. We are currently working on a ranking feature which should put the device which is most likely immediately upstream of the target device at the top of the list. The current build shows a rank in each device's description, indicating the how close to the target device each device is. Items with the higher rank (lower number) should indicate a closer proximity to the target device.

HTH,
    Greg