cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Login Banner Compliance Report

Jump to solution

Has anyone figured out how to check for a multi-line login/motd banner using a compliance report? I'm willing to attempt re-writing our banners if I can find a solid way to check that they are the same across multiple devices. I still haven't been able to find a good answer for this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Login Banner Compliance Report

Jump to solution

Cut and paste this into a note pad document then into a single box within the compliance rule.  Mark as must contain & regular expression.  I always use notepad or notepad++ to edit text then cut and paste into solarwinds.  I wish the boxes in SW were bigger but in due time. 

Only users authorized by MYCOMPANY may utilize.*\nor access this electronic system or database for approved purposes\..*\nAny unauthorized use\, inappropriate use\, or disclosure of this system.*\nor any information contained therein is prohibited and may result in.*\nrevocation of access\, disciplinary action \(up to and including.*\ntermination\) and\/or legal action\.  MYCOMPANY retains the right to monitor\,.*\nrecord\, distribute\, or review any user\'s electronic activity, files\,.*\ndata\, or messages\.  Any evidence of illegal or actionable activity may.*\nbe disclosed to law enforcement officials or used by MYCOMPANY in any legal.*\naction against the offending user\.  Reminder\: Non\-public information.*\nfound in or created on this system is the proprietary\, confidential.*\nand\/or trade secret information of MYCOMPANY or others entrusting their.*\ninformation to MYCOMPANY\.  In addition\, information transmitted to a foreign.*\nperson through the use of this system may be subject to U.S. Export.*\nControl laws\.  If appropriate\, contact your Export Coordinator or the.*\nlaw Department for assistance\.

You have to be on the look out for ALL special characters.  Use the "\" before any special character and a ".*\n" for a new line.  It works for me. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

I've tried a few combinations, but the problem is I can't see how much is matching or not matching and the guidelines on how to structure checks for multiline check are kind of confusing.

We currently have a banner which is outlined with # signs and spaces to square it up. Neither of the examples would work with that banner.

I removed all the # signs and spaces at the end, tried searching in the banner login block for a Find String, that didn't work. Finally after removing the spaces and # signs, and NOT searching within a config block I was able to get the rule to pass.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Yes,  I have been able to do it.  Takes a little time but doable.

If you are looking for the DOD banner please send me an email and I can assist you from there.  If this is for a non-goverment, can you put the banner here my any company information. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

I think the important thing were the settings for the rule.

I checked the Advanced Config Search, Must Contain, Find String. Then I searched the Entire config file.

I was able to find this banner (yes I know there are some grammatical mistakes):

Only users authorized by MYCOMPANY may utilize

or access this electronic system or database for approved purposes.

Any unauthorized use, inappropriate use, or disclosure of this system

or any information contained therein is prohibited and may result in

revocation of access, disciplinary action (up to and including

termination) and/or legal action.  MYCOMPANY retains the right to monitor,

record, distribute, or review any user's electronic activity, files,

data, or messages.  Any evidence of illegal or actionable activity may

be disclosed to law enforcement officials or used by MYCOMPANY in any legal

action against the offending user.  Reminder: Non-public information

found in or created on this system is the proprietary, confidential

and/or trade secret information of MYCOMPANY or others entrusting their

information to MYCOMPANY.  In addition, information transmitted to a foreign

person through the use of this system may be subject to U.S. Export

Control laws.  If appropriate, contact your Export Coordinator or the

law Department for assistance.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Cut and paste this into a note pad document then into a single box within the compliance rule.  Mark as must contain & regular expression.  I always use notepad or notepad++ to edit text then cut and paste into solarwinds.  I wish the boxes in SW were bigger but in due time. 

Only users authorized by MYCOMPANY may utilize.*\nor access this electronic system or database for approved purposes\..*\nAny unauthorized use\, inappropriate use\, or disclosure of this system.*\nor any information contained therein is prohibited and may result in.*\nrevocation of access\, disciplinary action \(up to and including.*\ntermination\) and\/or legal action\.  MYCOMPANY retains the right to monitor\,.*\nrecord\, distribute\, or review any user\'s electronic activity, files\,.*\ndata\, or messages\.  Any evidence of illegal or actionable activity may.*\nbe disclosed to law enforcement officials or used by MYCOMPANY in any legal.*\naction against the offending user\.  Reminder\: Non\-public information.*\nfound in or created on this system is the proprietary\, confidential.*\nand\/or trade secret information of MYCOMPANY or others entrusting their.*\ninformation to MYCOMPANY\.  In addition\, information transmitted to a foreign.*\nperson through the use of this system may be subject to U.S. Export.*\nControl laws\.  If appropriate\, contact your Export Coordinator or the.*\nlaw Department for assistance\.

You have to be on the look out for ALL special characters.  Use the "\" before any special character and a ".*\n" for a new line.  It works for me. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Ahh the commas and other punctuation marks were probably messing up my regex. I've gotten it to work now without having to add all the \ and *\n by using the String. But I can see now where I was messing up, thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Same config has worked for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Glad to help out. 

0 Kudos