cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Issue installing NCM on new NPM installation. Invalid object name...

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to get NCM installed and am getting the following error: Invalid object name 'dbo.NCM_NCMSettings

My SQL account has full access to the DB so I am not sure why it won't install. I did install NPM originally with SQL express DB as a trial then stood up a separate SQL server as instructed in the configuration guide. Migrated the DB over and NPM is working great, but can't get NCM installed. Will I need to tear it all down and start over?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Thanks for the suggestions! I reached out to SW support and they advised me on a few things to try. First, check if I was using a SA level account to run the installer, which I was. Second, they gave me an SQL script to add the dbo.NCM_NCMSettings table. I ran the installer again and it failed with a different missing NCM table. I wound up installing the NPM update, then tried to install NCM and it did not work. Rebooted the SQL server and the poller then tried NCM install again but it failed with "Could not perform Active Diagnostics" error so I performing these steps:

1.) Run CMD as Administrator.
2.) On the CMD, type cd space <path of the installer>
3.) Click enter.
4.) Queue up  or Drag the installer .exe on the cmd then space then type -notests
5.) Then, click Enter.

After this, it installed successfully! I am rocking and rolling now!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
I went through the log and I see the error reported in the alert. I will try dropping the table and let you know how it goes.
Thanks!
0 Kudos

I looked in the DB and there are no dbo.NCM* tables or views so dropping the table fix does not apply here. I rebuilt the DB and still get the error during the preflight check of the installer. I should have added this to my initial post, below is the error I see.

NCM baseline configurations (NCM)Diagnostic failed: Invalid object name 'dbo.NCM_NCMSettings'.

0 Kudos

Two things:

1. Check if any other agent or software is running on your machine, like say SCOM agent or some other thing which is monitoring your tool or monitoring your SolarWinds Server where you are trying to install NCM, if yes then stop that service before you install NCM.

2. Talk to SolarWinds and check if installer package is intact, I am assuming you are using the latest central upgrade, please correct me if I am wrong. Are you doing something different like offline installer or .... ?

0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestions! I reached out to SW support and they advised me on a few things to try. First, check if I was using a SA level account to run the installer, which I was. Second, they gave me an SQL script to add the dbo.NCM_NCMSettings table. I ran the installer again and it failed with a different missing NCM table. I wound up installing the NPM update, then tried to install NCM and it did not work. Rebooted the SQL server and the poller then tried NCM install again but it failed with "Could not perform Active Diagnostics" error so I performing these steps:

1.) Run CMD as Administrator.
2.) On the CMD, type cd space <path of the installer>
3.) Click enter.
4.) Queue up  or Drag the installer .exe on the cmd then space then type -notests
5.) Then, click Enter.

After this, it installed successfully! I am rocking and rolling now!

View solution in original post

I had this same issue with a client, adding NCM and other apps to Just a SAM install.

no Table creation needed, but the run from Admin CMD got around the error and the install is running.

thanks for the input on this issue!!!

0 Kudos
Level 16
0 Kudos
Level 13

Hi

I guess you get the error during config wizard.

Check the log file for more info: c:\program data\solarwinds\logs\orion\configwizard.log

0 Kudos