This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is there a way to automatically purge backups in NCM?

I have NCM backing up configs on a nightly basis.  I have backups for the past 3 years.  Is there a way for Solarwinds to retain only the latest 2 years or is purging/deleting the older backups have to be done manually? 

• kange0010​ There should be a default job (NCM) to do exactly that. On the NCM Jobs page (/Orion/NCM/Resources/Jobs/JobsList.aspx) you should see a job called "Default Purge Config Job". You will need to copy/edit that job, adjusting the schedule and retention period for the configs.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you,

-Will

• Hi wluther,

Thank you for the response.  I have seen this job which is currently enabled and has a retention period of 30 days, but this doesn't resolve my issue.  I think this job is on the web console and related to:

Configs\Configuration Management

When I expand any node, my configs for the past 30 days show up.

In my server:

C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\NCM\Config-Archive

I have backups dating back to June 2017.  I was wondering if there is any way to automatically purge this or is this something that would need to be manually purged?

• Hi kange0010 there is an option for purging both.

As mentioned by Will (wluther) there is a default job called "Default Purge Configs Job" which will purge old configs from your database based on node selection and retention periods set inside the job.

However, there is also another job called "Default Database and Archive Maintenance Job" which will perform routine database clean up as well as Archive maintenance with the following options:

pastedImage_0.png

As you can see from my example I am purging archive configs older than 2 years, and database configs older than 6 months. The only thing I'm not sure of is that there is nowhere in this job to protect your baseline configs, which is an option in the purge job so use with caution.