This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Interface Last Status Change Report Time/Date Problem

Hi, I am experiencing a problem with my Interface Last Status Change Report. It returns incorrect Date/Time values. I found the following info regarding this problem:

Last Change date in Realtime Interface Monitor is in the future 

The Last Change field uses two OIDs to attain it's value:

-ifLastChange(1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.9): This static value reflects the value for sysUptime when the interface's Operating Status changed. For example, if the interface's operating status changed 60 seconds after the device was rebooted, the ifLastChange value will be 600 (hundredths of seconds) until the operating status changes again.

-SysUptime(1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3): This value represents the amount of time in hundredths of seconds that the system has been up.

In order to calculate the Last Change value for the interface, ifLastChange is deducted from SysUptime. This gives us the amount of hundredths of a second since the change. We then compare that to the current date and time and we end up with the specific date and time of the change.

The limitation of this calculation is that SysUptime rolls over at 4,294,967,296 hundredths of a second. When this occurs, deducting ifLastChange from SysUptime results in a negative number, which then ends up as a futuristic date.

The only way around this is to reboot the device, which will reset all counters to 0.

I would like to know if anybody has discovered a solution to this without rebooting the Switch, as that is not an option I have in my network environment.

Looking forward to any replies that might be helpful.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Both of these are read only values generating a report will inevitably have erroneous values based on these OIDs.  There is no way to reset or change the values of either outside of a reboot.

• Why do I receive different Date/Time values when running different tools? If this is a simple calculation should the result be the same every time? 

pastedImage_0.png

vs.

pastedImage_1.png

This does not make sense to me, do you have any comment on this?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to geeper

It looks like the top one is based on SNMP polling, not an actual calculation.  So it noted it at the time it went down (I could be incorrect).  The bottom report looks like a calculation.

• Hi Tim,

What if a reboot is not an option within the organisation in which you work and you are required to perform capacity management via port usage?  How do you provide accurate switchport up/down usage statistics?

This has become more of an issue nowadays hence the reason it has not posed too much of a problem to me in the past.

Thanks

Hesh

• All you need to do is to Unmanage and remanage the Device

How to?

1. Go to Manage Nodes

2. Find the nodes with the problem

3. Tick the box to the left on the Node Name

4. Click Unmanage

5. Click Manage