cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 18

If you're curious as to what we're working on...

The NCM team is busy at work on a number of highly requested enhancements:

1. Connected Hosts Report - ability to get a list of connected hosts managed in Orion.  The current plan is to deliver this as an update to the NCM integration module for Orion NPM.

2. Find Connected Port for End Host - ability to search for a host via IP, hostname, or MAC address and see the switch port it's connected to along with details of the port.  This current plan is to deliver this as an update to the NCM integration module for Orion NPM.

3. NPM/NCM alerting integration - ability to run an NCM config script to gather diagnostic data and include this in an NPM advanced alert message (e.g. sh interface ${ifName}) .  ability to get last config change and include this in an NPM advanced alert message.  ability to backup running config.   This will be delivered as an update to the NCM integration module for Orion NPM.

4. Config change templates - ability to add logic to config change templates (e.g. if, then, else).  ability to access NCM inventory data in change templates (e.g. custom properties, interface description, VLAN, etc.).  ability to gather change template inputs (e.g. node, interface description, etc.) interactively through web UI when it is run.   ability to import and export to thwack.

5. Windows 2008 task scheduler support - ability to run on Windows 2008 without any requirements to edit job settings using the Windows Task Scheduler.   Ability to run Realtime Change Detection without having to be logged on to server.

6. Windows 2008 R2 support

7. SCP v1 support  (SCP/SFTP v2 support already in 5.5.2) - certain Cisco devices only support SCP v1 (e.g. Cisco IPS module), so this will enable SCP download from those devices as well.

In parallel, we are also working on the following:

FIPS support – ensures product operability on a Windows OS (2003 & 2008) with the FIPS Group Policy Object (GPO) enabled, which restricts which cryptographic algorithms are allowed.

PLEASE NOTE:  We are working on these items based on this priority order, but this is NOT a commitment that all of these enhancements will make the next release.  We are working on a number of other smaller features in parallel.   If you have comments or questions on any of these items (e.g. how would it work?) or would like to be included in a preview demo, please let us know!

0 Kudos
56 Replies
Level 13

I do not know if this is on the radar, but I would like to suggest that we have a feature that allows us to "disable" the display of passwords or password strings. For example, in a Cisco IOS, you can have lines like:

"enable password XXXXX"

"enable secret XXXXXX"

"username bob password XXXXX'

In the CatTools product, there is an option to BLOCK those from being displayed or used in comparisons.  I am primarily a Cisco shop, and this is one feature I truley miss when I moved from CatTools to Orion.

0 Kudos

Thanks Dan - I have that one entered as a feature request. 

--Christine

0 Kudos

I would second that request. Another hot one for me is being able to hide the SNMP values in the Web UI. Especially for user roles like WebViewer that although do not have any permissions to execute scripts, can still view the local accounts on the device and/or the SNMP Read-write strings which would negate the user role.

0 Kudos
Level 9

I'm sure this has been mentioned before as well and I think this could be a quick addition which would increase the functionality by a long shot.

Have the ability to search for a string in a configuration, and then perform an action against the returned list of devices.

For example, I want to update an ACL95 on my routers, but only 60% of my devices use this ACL... currently I need to manually select these devices, but would be excellent if I could build a device list based on a previous search, then apply my script against ACL95. This would avoid me applying ACL95 on devices which don't need it.

Could also be useful for replacing tacacs servers, etc.  Although this may tie into the if,then,else functionality that's already been announced?

0 Kudos

Hi Euphorik: 

I think you're going to like what we're working on now! I'm going to update the list as soon as we GA with 6.0, but we've already started working on the next batch of features and what you're asking for is going to be part of that list. 

--Christine

0 Kudos
Level 14

not sure if this has been mentioned but it would also be nice if you could add #3 as an attachment (like the last running config or whatever command we choose to execute) so it is not in the actual alert message (so you dont download the attachment automatically on handhelds, e.g. blackberry)

0 Kudos
Level 16

Could you please add me to the RC availability?

napoleon@familyofcrowes.com

0 Kudos

I have the Candidate Release and have the integration set up, but i receive the following message when trying Find Connected Port for End Host:

Before you can view port mappings for this device, you must first use Network Discovery to properly add the device to the Orion database.

It seems to work from within the applaction itself when i use the find address function

0 Kudos

Hi Clint - you'll need to run the network discovery in NCM and it should work. Could you try that and let me know if you are still having an issue? 

--C

0 Kudos

I have run the discovery and i still get this message. Do i need to monitor all interfaces on all devices becuase i am just doing the devices only with no interfaces. I monitor the vlans interfaces on my core router, but just the devices themselves on anything past the core unless it is a distribution switch.

0 Kudos

Hi Clint - ok in my last post, I meant to say "NPM" discovery not NCM, but I think you got that anyway. Sorry, long day. Could you look in the "discovered links" report and search for the IP you are looking for, and tell me if it is in there? 

Thanks, 

C

0 Kudos

I only get a "no activity to report" message when clicking the discovered links

0 Kudos

Hi Clint - Can you open a support ticket for this. We need to investigate. 

--C

0 Kudos
Level 8

Anyway for the NCM command script to do some if-else comparison?

I wanna to execute the script on a large number of devices, and when the script is being carried out, it will login to the cisco devices, verify that "logging x.x.x.x" if it's present.. If its not, include that.. if it does, ignore the rest of the script

0 Kudos
Level 16

Please include me in your RC release....

Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos

Familyofcrowes - you're on the list!

--C

0 Kudos

Please include me also in your RC list.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

DaBis - will do!

--C

0 Kudos

I know you posted that you were working on Win2k8 R2 support for NCM, but did the OS actually make it into the NCM6 release?

0 Kudos

Yes, it's in there. 

--Christine

0 Kudos