cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

How to download and save routing tables

Jump to solution

Hi all.

I´ve been looking for a way to automaticly download and save the routing tables of my routers - At least the most intresting ones 🙂

I have´nt been able to figure out how to do that.

Any one that can assist ?

Brgds

Jesper

1 Solution

Jesper,

I am stuck at the moment as I am getting the error "Connectivity issues discarding config file. Device IP:xxxxxxxxx" whereas NCM is able to download properly the file but it cannot "catch" the prompt.

Here is what I did so far:

1- Manually select the existing template for the device I am going to add a second time

Right-click on the device and select Edit Selected Node.

Scroll down to the Communication Section and change the Device Command Template from "Auto Determine" to your the template used by the device. e.g. Cisoc Catalyst CatOS for a Cisco CATOS 6503.

2- Copy the original template used for that device and rename its name to something easy to understand.

e.g. Cisco Catalyst CatOS-1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.ConfigMgmt-Commands to Cisco Catalyst CatOS_RT-1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.ConfigMgmt-Commands

Edit in your text editor and change the name inside it as well:

e.g. Device="Cisco Catalyst CatOS" to Device="Cisco Catalyst CatOS_RT"

Change the Download Config command variable:

e.g. <Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="Show ${ConfigType}"/> to

<Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="Show ip route"/>

3- Add a second time your equipment

In NCM, Nodes > Add New Node

You will be asked to confirm that you want to add a duplicate node.

4- Select the modified template in the properties of the new node

5- Try to download the config

Right-click on the new device and select Download Configs.

Let me know if you get the error as well, if you get the error, please post a session trace:

• Go to File -> Settings.
  • Scroll to the end of the list on the left, and under Advanced, you should see "Session Tracing". Click this option.
  • In the pane on the right, check the "Turn on Session Tracing" checkbox, then click OK.
  • Remember to uncheck this when the tests are complete.
  • This will save the trace file in c:\program files\solarwinds\configuration management\Session-Trace

Sanitize the trace before to post it.

Thanks

Yann

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 Replies

Chris-

Is there a roadmap/schedule update on this?

I need to work in this area, but I would rather not re-invent the wheel if possible.

0 Kudos

This is very high on our priority list, but it won't make the next release due to the extent of the changes.   The current workaround (using duplicate devices and custom device templates) listed above is your best bet for now.

0 Kudos

> This is very high on our priority list,

It has been 10 years... I doubt this statement.

Customers need to download vlan.dat from Cisco switches. Why can't this be added simply to the downloads?

0 Kudos

This capability has been in the product for several years.  Route tables are collected as part of the OOTB inventory and for custom stuff you would create a new config type

Enable a new config type in NCM

- Marc Netterfield, Github

Ah there's my problem. I don't have v7.9 installed. Need to talk to my "team".

Are there specific instructions for getting this to work with the Cisco VLAN.DAT file?

0 Kudos

The custom config type has been around a lot longer than 7.9, that was just the time when they updated the UI around it.  I don't know off hand any good places to dig up old versions of the admin guides, but if you are going to be using the tool that would be the place to start to find specific instructions.

NCM doesn't generally work by downloading files from network devices, it would be too inconsistent a process to do across multiple vendors.  You just need to set up the appropriate show commands to have NCM execute those on the CLI and save them.

I have v7.6. I found an Admin Guide for 7.7 but like my version all you can do is add a config type. No cli edit that I can find.

I will have to wait till after the New Year to get them to upgrade my NCM. We've delayed that process long enough.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

If you can add config types then you are definitely new enough to do this.  Once you add a new type then you need to edit the device templates you use and add in the commands you want to use for the new type

Edit an NCM device template

This is a screenshot from a client where we did this,

pastedImage_0.png

I know this is only a couple weeks old so hoping it is already in the product 🙂

I was primarily looking to backup the VLAN database

0 Kudos

Hi Chris

This makes a lot of sence. Especially if we would be able to specify each "customized" type our selves.

Note - The config change reporter does not know how to match each downloaded route table, as all has different values.  I.e. if you use dynamic routing, the route entry often changes.

D EX    10.46.33.0/24 [170/28416] via 10.217.16.2, 4w3d, Vlan800  - would be changed tomorrow to - D EX    10.46.33.0/24 [170/28416] via 10.217.16.2, 4w4d, Vlan800

Maybee the config change report could be adjusted to either ignore the special types of configs, or that we can manually create rules for the CCR to check / ignore.

0 Kudos

still need to save this info to the DB...
any thoughts?

0 Kudos