This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to download and save routing tables

Hi all.

I´ve been looking for a way to automaticly download and save the routing tables of my routers - At least the most intresting ones :)

I have´nt been able to figure out how to do that.

Any one that can assist ?

Brgds

Jesper

• Hi Jesper,

The way to do this would be to add each device a second time and use a dedicated device template for each device type that sends a show ip route (or any other command).

Is there a specific device you would like to try on?

Thanks,

Yann

• Hello

ok - Strange that it has to be added twice !?

But, i can live with this :)

I´d like to download from a 3560, 3560E and 6500 and 7600 routers  (switches)

Br Jesper

• Strange that it has to be added twice !?

This is because a device can use only one template, so we need a second instance of the same node to use the modified template and keep your configuration as it is for the first instance.

I will give a try here in the lab for a 6500 series device.

The steps would be:

1- identify the template used by the device

2- Create a copy of it and edit the DownloadConfig variable

3- Add a second time the device

4- Set the custom template to be used by this new device.

5- Test if that works.

Yann

• So, one cannot simply run the command script against the node(s) from the NCM console?

• You are right freemen, but then the results can be saved only in text files which means that you will not be able to e.g. run some policy reports.

If there is no need of the advanced features then of course your method is faster to implement.

Up to Jesper :-)

• Hello

I´d like to get a script i can use.

But its important to also be able to run reports so i think it would be nice if you tested this in the lab.

Brgds

Jesper

• Jesper,

I am stuck at the moment as I am getting the error "Connectivity issues discarding config file. Device IP:xxxxxxxxx" whereas NCM is able to download properly the file but it cannot "catch" the prompt.

Here is what I did so far:

1- Manually select the existing template for the device I am going to add a second time

Right-click on the device and select Edit Selected Node.

Scroll down to the Communication Section and change the Device Command Template from "Auto Determine" to your the template used by the device. e.g. Cisoc Catalyst CatOS for a Cisco CATOS 6503.

2- Copy the original template used for that device and rename its name to something easy to understand.

e.g. Cisco Catalyst CatOS-1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.ConfigMgmt-Commands to Cisco Catalyst CatOS_RT-1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.ConfigMgmt-Commands

Edit in your text editor and change the name inside it as well:

e.g. Device="Cisco Catalyst CatOS" to Device="Cisco Catalyst CatOS_RT"

Change the Download Config command variable:

e.g. <Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="Show ${ConfigType}"/> to

<Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="Show ip route"/>

3- Add a second time your equipment

In NCM, Nodes > Add New Node

You will be asked to confirm that you want to add a duplicate node.

4- Select the modified template in the properties of the new node

5- Try to download the config

Right-click on the new device and select Download Configs.

Let me know if you get the error as well, if you get the error, please post a session trace:

• Go to File -> Settings.
    • Scroll to the end of the list on the left, and under Advanced, you should see "Session Tracing". Click this option.
    • In the pane on the right, check the "Turn on Session Tracing" checkbox, then click OK.
    • Remember to uncheck this when the tests are complete.
    • This will save the trace file in c:\program files\solarwinds\configuration management\Session-Trace

Sanitize the trace before to post it.

Thanks

Yann

• Hi Jesper,

I checked with Chris Lapoint and there is already a report that list the Routing tables of your devices.

You need to run the inventory on the nodes you wish to review the routing table.

- In NCM, Inventory > Start Full Inventory or Right-Click on a device > Inventory Selected Nodes

Then for a single node:

In NCM, Double-Click on a device. Select the Inventory tab and in the drop down list choose the Route Table report.

For multiple nodes:

In NCM, Click on Reports > View Report.

Under the Route Tables Inventory section, select Route Tables and click on Ok.

This method does not require you to make any modifications in NCM unlike what I described in the above posts. You will not be able to use the Policy Reporter with that method but it is a ready to use feature.

HTH,

Yann

• Hi Yann

I did not yet manage to test your previous post, but will do so later this week.

However the allready build-in feature of downloading the routing table is not enough. I want to be able to download and store routing tables, to be able to compare with old routing tables from that device.

brgds Jesper

• Hi Yann

Had some time to test :)

Its working fine - Tested on the folowing devices 7600, 6500, 3560E, and a 4500. The only disadvantage is that i need to create the node twice...

Could be a request for further development for NCM :)

Tnx for your assistance !